1,374 SF Home Addition

Hi! We're about to expand our house, a 24 x 48 rectangle, by adding on a 1,374 SF 2-story floorplan we found which is also a rectangular shape
- should be easy to build (no complicated rooflines, bumpouts, etc). What I'm looking for is perhaps a website that takes you through the process and each step one by one, from obtaining the permit to the final inspection. Does anyone know of a site like this? If not, I'm sure there are books on the topic. What titles should I look for?
In a previous post Katrina wrote...

I suggest you hire a local house designer or architect to help with the process. It will be money well spent unless you intend to go into the construction business and want to learn all the vagaries of the permit process.
--
Bob Morrison, PE, SE
R L Morrison Engineering Co
Katrina wrote:

We're buying the blueprints from a floorplan site online. It's a perfect rectangle with no complicated rooflines or bumpouts, etc. It's a garage in the front with a 2-story greatroom behind and a master suite up top. I know I'll have to get an architect on board to help design the placement so that it butts up to the existing dwelling. Surely there must be a start to finish checklist/project timeline online for someone who wants to add on to their house. That's all I'm looking for with this question, not nay-sayers.
Italian Mason wrote:

In a previous post Katrina wrote...

If you are going to hire an architect anyway why don't you just have that person provide with all the necessary services.
Sheesh! I can never figure out people who look to save a few bucks on what is probably the largest investment of their life. Makes no sense to me.
--
Bob Morrison, PE, SE
R L Morrison Engineering Co
Katrina wrote:

No one said you can't do it. People are telling you what you should do. You posted on this newsgroup to get some experienced opinions. You're getting them.
As far as a checklist/timeline, I wouldn't trust anything that wasn't worked up for my particular project. You will be hiring an architect - let them provide that information.
Katrina,
Having professional help on your side will make all the difference in the world. This is likely your largest investment and you can potentially make simple mistakes that could cost you thousands or more! As for time, I have experienced projects of this type that can take up to a year to complete. It really depends on the location and parties involved.
Frank
www.frugaldesigninstitute.com
RicodJour wrote:

Katrina,
Having professional help on your side will make all the difference in the world. This is likely your largest investment and you can potentially make simple mistakes that could cost you thousands or more! As for time, I have experienced projects of this type that can take up to a year to complete. It really depends on the location and parties involved. Just because it is a perfect rectangle doesn't mean it is a perfect solution.
Frank www.frugaldesigninstitute.com
RicodJour wrote:

I always shake my head at the Flip this House 4 step intro. They actually say "Step x". Something like:
Step 1: Buy beater Step 2: Take out old stuff Step 3: Install new appliances and fixtures Step 4: Sell for profit
Now why in the world would people think if you can rearrange your sock draw you can rebuild a house? I have no idea :-)