1/2" drywall ceiling on 24" centerline joists

I am replacing a ceiling in a room that will be more or less 6' x 12'. The ceiling joists are 11-7/8 I joists running perpendicular to the 12' axis on 24" centers. The rest of the house is over 40 years old and has 1/2" drywall running perpendicular to trusses that are on 24" centers. I always thought you should use 5/8" on a ceiling when joists were on 24" centers.
I will be replacing more ceiling in the future so should I continue with the 1/2" on 24" centers, use 5/8" on 24" centers, or install strapping on 16" centers and use 1/2"? What would the pro's do in this situation?
use 1/2" cd board. it's ceiling board. david

bitternut wrote:

We run 5/8". It is code around here. And we have to do that even on 16" centers. Has to do with the fire rating.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Is that Type 'X'? T
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Type X is fire rated, but all 5/8" drywall is basically fire resistant due to the nature of gypsum. If you want higher fire resistance, then type X is used and if you need a higher rating, then type C.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

bitternut wrote:

To learn more, try this site. It has more than you ever wanted to know about drywall:
http://www.usg.com /
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.