Yellow stain on Congoleum floor

Hi:

We have a Congoleum linoleum floor in our kitchen. Under our dogs' water dishes a yellow stain has formed where the moisture was trapped. We tried using Congoleum's recommendations of rubbing alcohol or a leaving a cloth soaked in bleach on the stain, but to no avail. Congoleum told us that if that didn't work, nothing will.

Does anybody have any recommendations for removing these yellow stains? Thank you for your time.

Stacy

Reply to
Brian and Stacy Bowman

If the manufacturer's suggestions didn't do it, they are probably correct that nothing will.

On the off chance that mineral deposits from tap water might have soaked into surface pores, you might try putting a cloth soaked in vinegar on it, and see if that helps.

Ordinary salad vinegar is 5% acid, but you can usually find gallons of 9% white pickling vinegar, which I find great for cleaning purposes.

Reply to
jamie

It is difficult to tell from your description exactly what kind of stain is on the floor. Is there rubber on the bottom of the dog dishes? Do you see rust on the dishes? Are the dishes plastic?

I lightened a stain on a bathroom vinyl floor using OxiClean, after bleach did nothing at all. The problem is that I have no idea what caused the stain (as with your issue).

I recommend keeping rubber mats or objects off vinyl flooring, (rubber contains sulphur which is a highly reactive element). If your dog dishes have a rubber bottom, I'd guess there was a chemical reaction.

Reply to
Phisherman

hi-i have found miracles with plain old baking soda-first apply it dry all over the stained area & rub it into the stain...covering it completely & then gradually moistening it while still rubbing the stained area. it might take several tries until you see the stain deminish. then leave a very light paste sit on the stained area for a few hours or more. i was very amazed with the results i have gotten with baking soda from an ink stain & have also gotten out food stains as well. but you could try it on your stain & you may get amazing results as well!!! it will not harm the shine or anything!!!!! try it & see!!! good luck!!!!!!!!

Reply to
mjs

Is that the only place you see this stain? If it starts appearing in other places, then it might be the vinyl flooring. I have orangey yellow stains on my floor. I thought someone had spilled spaghetti sauce all over. A friend who is a carpenter said that it might be caused by the glue that is pulling the ink from the subfloor up into the vinyl. At least you know it is Congoleum and if this it the case with you, they may replace it for you. I have no idea what brand of flooring I have.

Cindy

Reply to
teleflora