work problem

my works toilet has been blocked by an inconsiderate customer. I have poked a bendy implement down there but when I flush, the water and other unmentionables won't go away, the water then drains very slowly leaving the mess in the pan. I tried to get a plumber in but no one is available until Monday. I really need the toilet to be working tomorrow. Has anyone got any tricks to unblock a toilet? I think it is mostly paper.
Have you tried to use a plunger? They can really unstick a lot of junk. You need to have "some" water in the bowl for the suction action to work, but a good hard plunger action will very possibly unstick what is stuck, and they the water will rush down.
Good luck, and please report back.
James
Have you tried to use a plunger? They can really unstick a lot of junk. You need to have "some" water in the bowl for the suction action to work, but a good hard plunger action will very possibly unstick what is stuck, and they the water will rush down.
Good luck, and please report back.
James
James wrote:

suspect a customer has put a wad or maybe half a roll down the toilet then pulled the flush and it has wedged around the corner. Out of order sign had to be put up and maintenance won't come until Monday so still stuck for tomorrow. Thanks for your reply

James is right: a plunger is hard to beat. In fact, a root is the only thing I've seen that defeated a plunger. No surprise there, of course.
If you have a good plunger, you can not only push the clog, you can also pull the clog--whatever it takes to break it up. It will require some muscle.
Tip: don't use any chemical drain openers, until you have no choice.
________________________ Whatever it takes.
Michael A. Ball wrote:

paper away or maybe I am wasting my time?

Sodium hydroxide is what I'd use, if I had not choice. NaOH is probably not needed, for mere toilet tissue
Use a wet vac to empty the toilet. Put on a rubber glove and try to detect anything stuck in the commode. If not, turn off, and disconnect, the water supply to the commode. Lift the commode off the drain.
Run a water hose into the drain--two feet, if possible. Plug the drain open with an old towel of cloth, wrapped around the hose. The seal must be very solid. With your rubber boots on, have someone charge the water hose. The hydraulic pressure will either move the clog or burst a pipe.
I've never seen this method fail, and I've never burst a pipe.
________________________ Whatever it takes.
Michael A. Ball wrote:

and get at the drain. 1) I'd have the union after me 2) I don't have access to a wet vac or a hose on a Sunday 3) No rubber boots :) I kept the door shut and the out of order sign on. I guess the plumber can sort it out tomorrow now. Thanks guys for your help. Good group!