Wooden Toilet Seats

Now I've almost finished my downstairs loo I am looking for a new toilet seat/lid and I like the look of the wooden ones. Are they as hygienic as plastic? Are there any cleaning points to be noted?

Reply to
Dawn

Both plastic and wood look solid, but are quite porous. Fortunately, both can be sanitized easily enough to be used as cooking utensils.

Even wooden seats with a natural finish still have some sort of coating to protect the wood: varnish, poly urethane or something. These coats create a smooth, easily sanitized, surface; but don't use anything harsh such as an acid bowl cleaner of the wood. It's just not necessary.

I prefer plastic because it is lighter (though not necessarily more stain resistant).

I hope that helps.

Michael When I die, I want to go where dogs go!

Reply to
Michael A. Ball

Look for the seat that has a sheet of film produced on each press of a button. that's if hygiene is your main concern. If you go for wood beware of cheap fittings that leave rust marks or don't hold the seat tight to the pan and subsequently allow it to slip. If you intend sitting for long periods then consider a softer plastic seat.

Reply to
Deacon Jones

Also look out for the warning label that reads something like "if you drop, or slam the lid, it'll crack up the middle, then you'll get a nasty pinch." I second the warning against the decorative fittings that hold the "organic material" and the corrode.

Reply to
570-622-6441

I have had 2, both cracked after about a year of use. Had a hard time getting it off, the brass? fittings simply wouldn't unscrew and my husband had to use a drill and a saw to get the seat off. They look nice but make sure you have a spare because once it cracks if you sit on it anyway it will give you a big pinch. I cleaned mine with an antibacterial cleaner and then used Pledge on it. There is probably a better way to clean them but it worked out okay for me.

Reply to
Scout Lady

I've just fitted my new seat. It's reinforced wood so hopefully it will last a bit longer. We will see! Thanks to everyone that responded Dawn

Reply to
Dawn