Wooden Floor,

Does anyone know how good a wooden floor would be in my lounge?

I have got six small to7y dogs and thought it would be better than the carpet I have at present.

Are they easy to maintain? And would they show scratches?

Reply to
Evelyn Usher

i'm not sure if your question is motivated around the dogs potentially scratching the floor, or if they pee/shed/put mud on the carpet & you were hoping this was a solution! :-)

ime, little dogs can't scratch a wooden floor very much just by running about - they simply don't weigh enough.

wooden floors do scratch and wear of course, and hence need some care. polyurethane finishes are awful too - an oiled finish looks better, is easier to maintain (because it doesn't necessarily need totally re-doing all at once) but on balance, i prefer carpet, personally. if you like carpet & just were wondering if wood might somehow be better for the doglets, keep the carpet. if you don't like the carpet anyway, go for wood - the doglets will contribute a little to the wear, of course, but then, you get that - the humans will create scratching and wear as well, probably more than the dogs will.

dogs tell me they prefer carpet to smooth floors - better grip for running without slipping ;-) kylie

Reply to
0tterbot

For a kennel, a vinyl floor would be easier to keep clean.

Reply to
Phisherman

If you keep their claws clipped you shouldn't have any problem.

Yes, very easy. I just use water with vinegar to mop.

I agree with that. When we went from carpet to hardwood, the dogs had to go outside. The oldest one couldn't walk on them at all and I was afraid she'd break a leg or something trying.

-- Piper

Reply to
Piper

not sure if you want to consider tile..... I am having a product installed in my bathroom called Duraceramic by Congoleum ...... as the product promises it is warmer to the touch than regular tiles. Took a couple samples of tiles to compare and they certainly were warmer. Then you could add an area rug for more warmth. Least you can pick an area carpet up and send to the cleaners

Reply to
Muvin Gruvin

Hi All.

Thanks for the answers. I did think of an oak floor as I was told that it could be oiled rather than sanded down and coated with varnish

My girls, six little Maltese and one chin, you can see them on my web page, would I think prefer carpet though. So maybe it means just shampooing my carpet more frequently. I do have laminate on my kitchen though and it is no problem to them.

There is no question about them not being in the lounge with me as they are part of my family. They do sleep in the kitchen at night.

I have not heard of Duraceramic tiles hear in the UK but will look into it.

Reply to
Evelyn Usher

I have 2 pugs and wood floors throughout the house. They do get scratched but it's just the finish, not the wood. I think they are much easier to keep clean that carpet....by miles. Plus they look beautiful

bonnie

Reply to
rosebud

Hi Evelyn. My Maltese is a male named Spike. He's quite studdly and I'm sure he wouldn't mind meeting up with your girls. I also have a neurotic Husky mutt and a very old Irish Setter. Plus various indoor/outdoor cats at various times. I ripped up my carpet. It was one of the grossest things I've ever done and I couldn't believe I had that nasty smelly thing in my house. I put down ceramic tile, and we all just love it. I've got lots of rugs around for the big dogs, and my Spike dog sits on the couch with me. It's so easy to keep clean. I just mop it once a week.

peggo

Reply to
peggo

my neighbor is from Italy......she says she never saw wall to wall carpeting till she came to live in the states. Another, friend of hers, also born n bred in Italy, ripped out all the wall to wall carpeting, Not sure what product or type of tiles she laid down. My daughter just had most of the carpeting removed from her home. Only the bedrooms have carpeting and she loves it. Pergo is a good product but not for bathrooms.

Reply to
Muvin Gruvin