Window dust filter... does this exist?

I'm looking for something that may not exist... so if you can recommend something close to what I'm looking for that would be great.

I would like to have something like an air filter that I can put over my window screens to filter out dust and dirt when the window is open. I don't care that I won't be able to see out that part of the window. My only requirement is that is needs to be white... and of course do a good job of filter dust and dirt.

The window is a bit large (39"wx59"h) Is there anything like this? If not an actual filter for this purpose, how about some type of material that will act as a filter.

Thanks, Jeff

Reply to
TestingNesting

Cheesecloth would work. The thing about air filters though is there usually is some sort of active device (a fan or blower) utilized to push air through the filter. Without this, you will probably be blocking a large portion of the air flow.

Beachcomber

Reply to
Beachcomber

Bulk filter material, for large applications, is available. Check with a local heating & ventilating contractor - especially a commercial service one - to see if they will sell you some, or if they'd refer you to a supplier.

Try this one at Grainger's, though it's not white, it might be available in white. Cut it to fit, and you might even find a frame to place it in if you look.

Of course, you must realize that any type of filter placed over the opening will reduce the amount of air entering. And the better the filter, the greater reduction, unless the air flow is enhanced with a fan.

Why not simply get an air conditioner? It also filters the air and you don't need to run the cooling portion all the time, though it is nice to have when it gets really hot.

Reply to
Rick Rider

Thanks for the replies.

Airflow was a concern... but the dust that comes in the windows (at least thats where I'm guessing its coming from) is drivin me nuts.

I vaccume and dust and withing a couple hours theres already a layer of dust back and within a few days its a thick layer. The problem is there is a cement factory on one side of me and a company that breaks down cement on the other side (I live in a loft conversion in an industrial area) I bought two air filters (Hamilton Beach filters for a 600sq ft room. My place is 1200sqft) but they aren't doing anything.

Are you talking about a window air conditioner? My windows open right to left, not up to down. So there would be a large gap which would let all the dust in anyway.

I'll see if I can get that material and give it a try.

Thanks!

Jeff

Reply to
TestingNesting