white dust from tap water in humidifier

Page 2 of 3

Watch out, Rastis, or you'll get googled and threatened with an incoherent stream of insults for daring to say that Ms. Dipshit isn't the veritable fount of All Useful Knowledge. ;-)

You're no better on the detail.

Fraid not, it just creates a mist of the water ultrasonically and that sees minerals that are in the water end up in the air as well, where they deposit on surrounding surfaces as the water evaporates.

Demineralised water is fine too.

Demineralised is fine too.

Correct.
Use distilled water. I recall a high school experiment where a pot of water was boiled down to 1/4", refilled, and boiled again down to 1/4". The remaining water was a filthy-looking sludge. That was in Cleveland, Ohio where the water is very hard. The deposits on your humidifier should be cleaned off per manufacturer's directions (or you can use vinegar).
On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 20:28:04 GMT, "ghbt"

The dust is the salt in the water. Nothing you add to the water will remove salts, including vinegar. There are two possible solutions to the problem -- use distilled water or replace the humidifier with one that evaporates the water rather than spraying it into the air. In the long term, replacing the humidifier with an evaporative unit will probably be cheaper. Large evaporative units cost about $100, room sized units about $50 in the U.S. I use a larger unit for my 1200 sq. ft. house. It uses from 3 to 5 gallons a day here in the desert southwest (mild, but dry, winters). --- SJF

Jeeze, where do you shop? I bought a small room size vaporizer four or five years ago for less than ten bucks.

Yeh! I remember them now. Had one many years ago and it cost about $10. Pretty sure you're referring to the boiler type -- gallon jug, two electrodes and the resistance of the water heats it to generate steam. This is the one that requires addition of salt if your water is too pure.
My reference to evaporative humidifiers was to the currently popular type that draws air through wet filter pads. Guess the electric boilers are still around but I overlooked them. --- SJF
SJF wrote:

Get the electric boiler type. Within ten years it will be well known that the cool mist humidifiers (actually atomizers) contribute to bronchitis and pneumoniae.

Before you put away that crystal ball, let us know who's going to win the World Series and the Kentucky Derby for each of those ten years, will ya?
Bob Ward wrote:

Come on, if I told everybody that I wouldn't be able to make any money betting on those events. :-)

Cool mist humidifiers have been around for over 25 years at the least - at any rate, it's more than 25 years ago when I saw my first one. If it's not known by now, chances are it never will be.
Lou wrote:

Please let me assign to you this homework problem: How long have partially-hydrogenated oils and artificial trans fats been around?

It's called scale, and is caused by any and all minerals in the water. This site http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/5046.html has some useful ideas.

When I die, I want to go where dogs go!

but I've never heard it referred to as "chalk" in this context. You can either use distilled water which would be free of mineral content or switch to a vaporizer-type humidifier, one which in essence boils the water and emits steam. With this type, the mineral residue is left behind in the water reservoir.
On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 20:28:04 GMT, "ghbt"

That's what comes from using an ultrasonic humidifier. Dissolved minerals, in my water its mainly calcium and magnesium sulphate, is carried in the fine mist. When that mist water evaporates the mineral content is deposited around the humidifier.
My solution for humidifying the house is to have a lot of house plants. If they thrive it means their respiration had kept the air in the correct humidity. I had disconnected the power humidifier in my forced air furnace because of lime buildup and because the water in the water tray was often slimy. That slime is probably mold and had caused respiratory problems.
PaPaPeng wrote:

We just installed a power humidifier in our forced air furnace this year. Is there a way to prevent this slime?

Yes, I believe so. You can keep a static, low-level algaecide in the water. Such products are usually used (as slow dissolving tablets) in AC condensate drip pans and are actually a quaternary ammonium chloride disinfectant .
When I die, I want to go where dogs go!

Not likely as the furnace draws air from the whole house to recirculate. The sponge pad and the water tray make an excellent growth medium. The nutirents were probably from all the dander and other stuff picked up from the air. The humidifier disperses several gallons of water a day so there is no effective way of neutralizing the water tray contents either by adding chemicals. Who wants to breath chemical vapours anyway. I am handy enough to put in a home-made UV light source but thought better of it. The house plants idea is a lot more satisfying. Plants give of as much water as is required by them to thrive. If they thrive I do. They make the whole hose look a lot better too.
PaPaPeng wrote:

It would take a lot of houseplants to use several gallons a day. If you want to maintain humidity, infiltration may be the first concern. The second may be a wet-dry thermometer to monitor humidity objectively.
My sister had no way to measure humidity, but for years she ran an ultrasonic humidifier all winter because she thought it helped her breathing. I think she finally concluded that the moisture was doing more harm than good by promoting the growth of allergens.
With no added humidity, my wintertime drop is seven degrees. That's about 65%, and that's dandy. If I wanted more humidity I'd dry my laundry on a rack indoors. If I wanted a lot more humidity I'd hang wet towels on the rack and use a 12" fan. Those fans are quiet and run hours for a penny.
Years ago I used a fan and towel to clean the air. I'd just put a pan of beans on high heat to boil when a neighbor came to the door for help. When I got back, the acrid smoke was too thick to see through. I ventilated, then for a week hung a wet towel in front of a fan. I rinsed the towel frequently. It picked up a lot of soot and odor.
So a wet towel can be used to add humidity and remove pollution.
Choreboy
On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 14:24:17 -0500, Choreboy

I took a look at my weather station - that fancy three dial thingy I have, more for decoration than utility. The relative humidity reads 42%, and the temp is 70 deg F. That's my confort zone and I have lived in my house for 23 years. I live in Alberta which is comfortably dry all year round such that sweat evaporates fast enough to keep the body dry even when I exercise. Summer temperatures can go up to 80 deg F and I don't have air conditioning. But that's very bearable because of the low humidity.
I have enough house plants pots to occupy three office desks. They are spread out of course. They have adapted well enough that I need only water them once in five days or once a week. Most of the plants have been around since I moved in.
The rest of the humidity comes from cooking, from baths and from laundry although as a single occupant this contribution will be less than that of a family's. In cool or warm weather I leave the windows open to let air circulate. I do see pollen collecting on the window screens and some must get through. But rarely are there any fluffy airborne seeds getting into the house. The best part is that there is no condensation on the window glass and I have lots of glass in my house. There are no moldy spot either.
I hardly if ever catch the flu nowadays, or have respiratory problems although I have to admit that my place is quite dusty as I hardly ever vacuum the place. I don't mess up so things look neat normally. A once a year whole house commercial carpet clean takes care of the accumulated stuff.