Whirlpool bath cleaner

The Jacuzzi recommended product Systems Clean costs $4.00/cleaning. It is a 2-step process using a different powdered cleaner at each step There is another product, Sani-Bath, that costs about $1.40 per cleaning. It is a one-step process using a liquid.
Has anyone here tried the Sani-Bath product?
TIA
Ed

I haven't tried either of them. The directions that came with my whirlpool tub say to use two cups of automatic dishwasher detergent and to run the tub for 10 minutes.
On Sun 01 Jan 2006 10:22:27a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Vox Humana?

Sounds like that would be very effective, and a *lot* cheaper.
--
Wayne Boatwright **

It has always worked well for me. You can get a 45 oz box of automatic dishwasher detergent for $1.49. There is nothing but some soap scum and perhaps some bacterial biofilm and/or fungus in the plumbing. The lye and enzymes in the detergent should be sufficient to clean anything in the pipes. If you don't want to waste water, you can add it the water after taking a bath and just let the tub run for 10 more minutes.

I agree it would be effective, but I'm wondering about the long term effects on the tub finish. Someone pointed out that Kohler recommends it, but a lot of Kohler whirlpools (all?) are porcelain of cast iron, whereas Jacuzzi is resin on a composite. Will the resin hold up under the aggressive dishwasher chemicals?
Anyone he been using the dishwasher powder for a long time?
TIA
Ed
On Sun 01 Jan 2006 08:14:02p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Ed?

Considering that the majority of dishwasher interiors are plastic, I rather doubt it would damage the acrylic.
--
Wayne Boatwright **
Thanks, Wayne. You're probably right. On the other hand, there are all kinds of plastics and finishes, and the ones used in dishwashers are surely selected to stand up under dishwashing powders, which BTW are known to attack crystal. I just want to be very careful as it would be terrible expensive to replace that tub!

Plastic is essentially inert when it comes to inorganic, polar solutions such as acids and bases. The only likely things that will hurt plastic are abrasives, heat, or an organic solvent. Dishwasher detergent should have no effect on plastic. It might not be a good idea to get the solution on aluminum like a shower door frame.

Thanks. I did a treatment with the Kohler method, which actually uses very little of the detergent. Seems to work fine. Time will tell.
Ed

I'm sure it will be fine. My tub holds 100 gallons, so that's probably why it requires more detergent (either that, or I am doing it wrong!).