Where to get sodium carbonate (washing soda) in S.F. Bay Area

After looking high and low, finally found it at a place I shop at all the time.

If a guy around here wanted some washing soda, he'd want to go to Orchard (OSH). Look in the pool chemical section for something called "pH Plus" by Kem-Tek.

The only other place I found locally that has this is a pool supply place up in Richmond that wanted about $12 for 5 lbs; at OSH, it's $7.50.

Pure sodium carbonate according to the list of ingrediments.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Which Hydrate? Likely the deca. Dan

Reply to
dan.c.quinn

wrote

Washing soda from the grocery store is monohydrate.

The decahydrate and anhydrate forms turn to monohydrate if left in open air.

Reply to
Nicholas O. Lindan

I buy "light soda ash" in 50-pound sacks for about $14. This is a lot of washing soda; one bag lasts about 6-8 years. Look under cleaning supplies in the yellow pages. It's also known as "sal soda" or just plain "soda." I use it to make laundry soap or as a laundry booster.

Reply to
Phisherman

Phisherman spake thus:

Where do you get it? All the cleaning places I called (several) were clueless. Most turned out to be Chinese suppliers of Chinese laundries who didn't even speak English ...

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I buy it at a chemical supply warehouse. Most chemicals are sold to janitorial businesses or soap factories. You may need to learn a few Chinese words, especially the word(s) for "soda ash." You might be able to order it online, although shipping costs would be high.

Reply to
Phisherman