Whats best to clean old bathtub?

My friend moved into a house with a 60 year bathtub. It seems its a cast iron one that is porcelin coated(or whatever it is that coats bathtubs and sinks). It looks like something like Ajax cleanser was used on it in the past because the surface is not smooth or shinny. She tried many of the common bathroom cleaners but not with a very good outcome. So, I am looking for suggestions as to what would be the best cleaner for this tub? I know its not going to get bright and shinny but its hard to get bathtub crud off of it because the surface is not smooth, I assume the crud gets a grip onto the pourous surface. Any thoughts appreciated.

Reply to
 Bluto

A scratched tub will always be more difficult to clean and to keep clean. There are $1 spray foam bathroom cleaners that you can spray onto the surface, wait a few hours, scrub with brush dipped in household ammonia, and rinse. Or, you could also use a liquid detergent and a sponge. Gritty cleaners, scouring powders, steel wool should not be used on porcelain, marble, fiberglass or plastics. Wipe down the tub/fixtures with a dry terry cloth after each use to reduce the amount of cleaning needed and to prevent spotting. You can't expect a 60-year old tub to look like new, unless you have it professionally refinished or re-lined.

Reply to
Phisherman

Using carnuba (car) wax on it will bring up the shine - just be careful getting in and out!

Reply to
montana wildhack

Arghhhhh------ I'd like to know how to clean my "garden tub"----that modern whatever it is, some synthetic that won't hold up to a good scrub. However, I think there isn't any way to get rid of stains, etc.. From a distance it looks nice, but I never feel that it is really clean. (I'm no clean compulsive either.)

And of course I **know** those "spa" jets aren't clean---but that's another topic that you've already helped me with :-/

I would love to have a porcelain tub. Even though I do remember the drawbacks of that, too. Good luck working with yours. I hope you get it taken care of.

Warmest Regards,

Donna

Reply to
Texas Gen