What vacuuming tools for small apartment?

I live in a small apartment and need some vacuuming tools.
Here is what I'm thinking and would like some feedback:
I'm cheap so cant spend a ton of money. Seems like most upright carpet vacs have all kinds of "hand tools" hanging of them.
Id rather have a simple, no hand tools, mini upright vacuum. Strictly used for carpet cleaning.
Then get maybe a dust buster for "detail" work?
What do you guys find to be the best combo of vacuum "tools" for small apartments and spaces.