what is difference between ammonia and bleach??

I know this is a dumb question. I know both ammonia and bleach clean things, but how do I know when to use each one? I know NEVER to mix the two, but when is bleach better and when is ammonia better?
I use ammonia when I want to do cleaning that involves cutting heavy duty grease and dirt. (Usually vinegar is my first choice.) I really only use bleach when I want to disinfect something (toilet bowl) or kill mold and mildew (shower area). Of course I occasionally use bleach in the laundry to whiten.
Bonnie in NJ

On 14 May 2005 15:56:19 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

The real scientists here can give you a real answer; but basically chlorine-based bleach is not a soil-removing substance. As a detergent, its practically useless. However, in the absence of organic matter, its a cheap and effect disinfectant. In terms of "cleaning", its forte is that chlorine, being a strong oxidizer, is great for removing most stains.
Household ammonia is not magical, but you can add it to detergent solutions to raise the pH; and that makes it more aggressive against dirt and grease.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammonia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_hypochlorite (bleach)
That's the basics, as I understand them.
When I die, I want to go where dogs go!