Washing Machine with Automatic Program Selection

Siemens has developed a washing machine that automatically selects the right program for every type of laundry, a feature that reduces water consumption. The appliance - "automaticWascher" - is equipped with smart sensors that recognize how much laundry is in the drum, what kind of textiles the laundry load comprises, and if it is heavily or lightly soiled. Users only have to choose one of two program settings: hot and colored wash, or easy-to-clean fabrics. The machine takes care of the rest.

technology_post

Very interesting dear but isn't it just another thing to go wrong in a modern machine? I wonder how it would cope if I popped a pair of clean silk drawers in with a dirty towel.

Reply to
Mrs Bonk

well, precisely. it probably wouldn't cope - it may well end up in tears and need a valium and a lie down!

frankly, i don't believe them. i have a washer which detects the size of the load (but that's easy) & informs me at the end that i should "have a nice day" (like the washing machine gets to decide what kind of day i have?!) but beyond that (which is going two steps too far as it is) i am unable to grasp how fabric type could possibly be "sensed" (better than a human would, if at all), and if so, how to cope with multiple fabric types (if at all).

mind you, i suppose it's designed for people who aren't as "smart" as the washing machine (which is a worry - washing machines aren't smart anyway. if mine had any brains it would immediately desist telling me to "have a nice day"!). kylie (who isn't having a nice day today - perhaps i should put a load of washing on??!)

Reply to
0tterbot