Vinyl tile question

I was just reading the vinyl cleaning post hoping it would cover my question. We have a vinyl tile floor in the kitchen and bath, and I've never had this kind of flooring before. I have been cleaning it by hand because I have no idea if regular mopping, even sponge mopping, would cause moisture to seep under the edges of the tiles and make them come loose. Is this a valid concern or am I being paranoid? The tiles look properly installed in most places, but there are a couple places you can see a bit of a gap, not much though. So, anyone else who has or has had these square vinyl tiles.. can you sponge mop regularly? What about that new swiffer floor thing that squirts fluid and you mop it up? Also, is there any way to seal the floor so that fluid doesn't seep in between the tiles? I have asked this of people at Home Depot and Lowe's and they look at me like I'm nuts. I'm no floor expert, how was I supposed to know lol.. Any advice greatly appreciated! lucy

Reply to
lucy

I have not some across vinyl tile square in a long time, as most vinyl floors are a single cut piece. The area where the shoe molding intersects with the floor can be sealed with caulk. In your case, you can use 2 or 3 coats of floor wax to seal the edges. Of course wax is not durable and the floor will have to be stripped and re-waxed periodically. After your floor is waxed, allow it to thoroughly cure for 24 hours and apply another coat. To clean a waxed floor damp mop using a half cup of vinegar in a bucket of warm water. Household ammonia will strip/remove the wax so that is something you would do a few times a year.

Reply to
Phisherman

Hey lucy. I put down vinyl tiles in my kitchen about ten years ago. My husband and I installed them, and I think we did a good job cause they've held up and still look pretty nice. I use one of those Swiffer Wet jet things on it almost every day. I like it cause you throw the dirty mopthing away and the dirt's gone. About once a month I scrub it good on hands and knees. I use a little Mr Clean or something in warm water to do this. I've never had any problems with it. I say go for it!

peggo

Reply to
peggo

Thank you both SO much! I've been cleaning it on my hands and I'm not a kid anymore lol.. Thanks again! lucy

Reply to
lucy

I have those square vinyl tiles in the bathroom. They have been there for about 100 years . No problems with moisture seeping under & loosening tiles. No problems with washing. It's a very small bathroom, so it's just as easy to wash on hands & knees.

In your case, since you say you see gaps, take advice about sealing the gaps.

Endorse what previous poster said about stripping wax w/ammonia a few times a year. I didn't do it, so wax piled on wax and the white tiles got yellowish. Hell of a job removing all that build-up, so don't let it happen.

This is just personal -- but I don't like to use Swiffers or any other thing that has to be discarded, adding to the waste disposal problem at the dump. I just use old terry towels and launder them.

Clueless

Reply to
aspasia

i agree about the disposable stuff.

i have found the microfiber mops to be the GREATEST invention EVER. (does that sound crazed?) ;)

to mop my floors i fill the sink with hot water and some fabuloso. to be honest, hot water alone works great but i like the smell of the cleaner. (it's bio-friendly. i downloaded the MSDS) ;)

this cleans every hard surface in the house. tile/laminate.

with the laminate flooring one must use a barely damp mop. this is why the microfiber is the only thing to use. it is the only mop that can get dry enough.

i'm trying to find a wringer for the mop. the reason i found this forum. i highly recommend the videla microfiber mop (made my o ceder)

i use microfiber cleaning clothes as well... THUMBS way up!

Reply to
Debra Keith