vertical blinds will not close

I have vertical vinyl blinds on my patio door. Recently, they have been very difficult to pull closed; tonight they were totally stuck in place, no matter how much I tugged the draw cord. Suggestions?
Katie
Katie, This is unlikely to be a cleaning issue. Carefully check out the mechanism while moving the cord. You may have a jammed and/or broken wheel (or worm) gear. Do not force! Maybe you can find someone who is mechanically inclined to use a ladder and flashlight.
On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 02:34:27 GMT, "FussyKatie"

In alt.home.cleaning on Fri, 29 Apr 2005 02:34:27 GMT "FussyKatie"

Don't tug too hard or you'll pull the whole thing down. Something is stuck inside and you have to look there to see what it is. The cord might be off its pully or whatever. I don't know how they are set up.

FussyKatie wrote:

Perhaps the cord is skew-whiff? Maybe it needs a rub down with some candle wax? If your verticals are like mine then they will be held by a few small screws so they can, if necessary, be easily removed and the assembly inspected and greased. My bathroom has them and the metal bar that the cord runs across pulling the blind holders with it, does tend to rust with the condensation and become sticky if not regularly pulled to and fro. A shot of greasy stuff will help but if not taking the blinds down to do so then be careful that no grease drips onto the slats.