Vacuum or shake throw rugs and mats?

The title asks it all.
The small rugs are no big problem, but we've gone thru a number of the longer rubber backed mats (garage entrance, for wet shoes and boots) that have seemed to shred along an edge. I believe its from the whipping action.
I also suspect that vacuuming them is as effective. Sure, catching the edge (getting sucked/caught in the vacuum) can be tricky, but I've got a technique worked out that eliminates that.
My wife says shaking is the only way.
Verdict????

I always vacuum them. I'm too lazy to shake and I think the vacuum does a better job anyway.
-- Merry Christmas Piper :o}>

action.
edge
Same here. However the rule I go by is that I do it my way but if someone wants to take over the task and do it a different way, then I don't object. If your wife wants to take-up the rugs and shake them, then ask her if there is something she would like you to do while she is attending to the rugs.
-> The title asks it all. -> -> The small rugs are no big problem, but we've gone thru a number of the -> longer rubber backed mats (garage entrance, for wet shoes and boots) that -> have seemed to shred along an edge. I believe its from the whipping action. -> -> I also suspect that vacuuming them is as effective. Sure, catching the edge -> (getting sucked/caught in the vacuum) can be tricky, but I've got a -> technique worked out that eliminates that. -> -> My wife says shaking is the only way. -> -> Verdict????
I vote for the vacuum.
You could try the old fashioned way -- throw the rug over a strong clothesline outside and beat the dirt/dust out with a rug beater.
Or offer to buy the rug beater for your wife!
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~