Vacuum or shake throw rugs and mats?

The title asks it all.

The small rugs are no big problem, but we've gone thru a number of the longer rubber backed mats (garage entrance, for wet shoes and boots) that have seemed to shred along an edge. I believe its from the whipping action.

I also suspect that vacuuming them is as effective. Sure, catching the edge (getting sucked/caught in the vacuum) can be tricky, but I've got a technique worked out that eliminates that.

My wife says shaking is the only way.

Verdict????

Reply to
Mike Garber

I always vacuum them. I'm too lazy to shake and I think the vacuum does a better job anyway.

-- Merry Christmas Piper :o}>

Reply to
Piper

Same here. However the rule I go by is that I do it my way but if someone wants to take over the task and do it a different way, then I don't object. If your wife wants to take-up the rugs and shake them, then ask her if there is something she would like you to do while she is attending to the rugs.

Reply to
Vox Humana

-> The title asks it all.

->

-> The small rugs are no big problem, but we've gone thru a number of the

-> longer rubber backed mats (garage entrance, for wet shoes and boots) that

-> have seemed to shred along an edge. I believe its from the whipping action.

->

-> I also suspect that vacuuming them is as effective. Sure, catching the edge

-> (getting sucked/caught in the vacuum) can be tricky, but I've got a

-> technique worked out that eliminates that.

->

-> My wife says shaking is the only way.

->

-> Verdict????

I vote for the vacuum.

You could try the old fashioned way -- throw the rug over a strong clothesline outside and beat the dirt/dust out with a rug beater.

Or offer to buy the rug beater for your wife!

Reply to
Suzie-Q