Vaccum Cleaners

I am in the market for a new vac...I find the choice almost overwhelming, do you have a favorite...the sweeper would be used for a split level all carpeted home and one inside dog....I know there are $400.0 dollar plus machines...wanting to get something under $200.0 if possible...tnx..Gary
Gary Boyer wrote:

upright,but it is higher than 200 but a lot less than 400. it is metal and plastic and made in usa.
Check Consumer Reports. They rate them periodically, and I believe they just did another rating a few months ago.
My Hoover is the one they rated tops at the time I bought it, and it does very well. It uses air filter (Z) bags, which are stronger than ordinary bags.
I'd never get a bagless vac. I tried one once, and emptying out the dirt catcher and filter was a nasty mess.
On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 17:53:32 GMT, "Gary Boyer"

: I am in the market for a new vac...I find the choice almost overwhelming, do : you have a favorite...the sweeper would be used for a split level all : carpeted home and one inside dog....I know there are $400.0 dollar plus : machines...wanting to get something under $200.0 if possible...tnx..Gary
My Oreck just bit the dust. Good riddance. I have heavy duty vacuuming needs, with 2 shedding dogs and 3 shedding cats, and the Oreck just isn't up to the job, IME. I borrowed my mom's Hoover Windtunnel - it is wonderful. Good suction, onboard tools which work beautifully. Disadvantages are that it is VERY heavy and noisy. I'm not sure of the cost, but it must be cheaper than that !(*$!()*$)!#*! oreck.
Good luck, Tammy Sacramento, California
Get a Panasonic but not a bagless.
On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 17:53:32 GMT, "Gary Boyer"

take my advice and get rid of the rugs--they will constantly torment you--most people who buy rugs will never never buy another
hth
peter
davefr wrote:

break your budget, get a Sanitaire. No, not the chintzy plastic one, but the one that you saw your gradeschool janitor using. They come with a dust cup (not good if yor dog is a shedder), or a shake-out cloth bag, or paper bags. The paper bags (style F&G) are available everywhere.
If you somehow, possibly, ever break or wear out a part, they are inexpensive and ubiquitous.