Using bleach????

I have some cutlery that has white handles. Problem is, is that the white is easily stained.
Can I soak them in bleach to whiten them again?
Is it safe? Won't die using them?
Thanks.
Oh pshaw, on Fri 08 Dec 2006 08:48:37p, GO meant to say...

Try soaking them in an oxygen bleach like Oxy-Clean. Chlorine bleach is harsh and may do damage, either to the handles or to the adjacent metal.
--
Wayne Boatwright
Don't use the bleach as it will likely yellow them more and as some one said they can damage them---if the oxy-clean does not finish the job- you can try lemon juice- not together though huggles me
Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Bleach may cause pitting in metal. You can try masking tape on the metal part and wrap a paper towel moistened with a 1:10 bleach-water solution around the handle portion. Wait 15 minutes then rinse with cool water. Wear rubber gloves, old clothes. Household bleach is very effective in removing fruit stains and is safe to use with food utensils and containers.
"Phisherman" wrote

=There is a gel bleach that may be easy to apply only to the handles.

By chance is your cutlery Dexter-Russell, with white Sani-Safe handles? Great tools!
Generally, chlorine and plastics are not a good combination, but that doesn't mean bleach is out of the question. As a cleaner, bleach is close to worthless.
So, clean your cutlery handles with a good detergent and scrub brush, maybe a bit of baking soda, and rinse well. If stains remain, soak the knife, handle down and only handle deep, in a glass of bleach solution.
As you know, the presence of a stain doesn't mean your cutlery is not sanitary. :-)
________________________ Whatever it takes.
I would use bleach as a last resort. First try baking soda ... or hydrogen peroxide...you could put peroxide in a jar and stand the cutlery up with just the handles in there.
Michael A. Ball wrote:

Thanks for all your great ideas.