Upholstery Cleaning Question

I am thinking about buying a new recliner and it is upholstered with Microfiber....a polyester fabric. This is something new to me. Feels like soft suede and sort of looks like it. Does anyone have any experience with this fabric? I can buy a treatment that is sprayed on - it's not Scotchguard but acts in a similar way. If I get the cheaper "treatment" it isn't guaranteed for very long. I am always suspicious of things like this, and extended warranties .... would like to hear from people who have experience with this. Thanks.