Strange White Gas when Mixing Oxiclean and Clorox Bleach

Can someone tell me what white gas is being put off when I mix oxiclean (powder) and Clorox bleach (liquid) in my washing machine?
According to the Oxi directions you are NOT supposed to mix it with bleach. It is a one or the other deal.
I wouldn't do that again if I were you.

Here ya go, straight from the Oxi-Clean web site.
Can I use it with Chlorine Bleach?
No! Oxi Clean is a bleach alternative and works by itself. Do not mix it with bleach as they will neutralize each other and can create dangerous gases and heat. If mixed in a poorly ventilated room, breathing the fumes created by this mixture can be fatal. .....
It's akin to mixing Ammonia and Bleach!
I wonder how many folks know that in Chlorine Bleach, the chlorine gas is held in suspension in a solution of LYE.
TTUL Gary
snipped-for-privacy@bbs.galilei.com.nospam (Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.) wrote:

Ammonia seems to be unique in being an alkaline that reacts dangerously with chlorine bleach.
Oxiclean is a peroxide bleach. It makes oxygen atoms available from H2O2. Chlorine bleach is solt with oxygen. It works by combining with water to produce a little lye and HOCl. HOCl bleaches by making oxygen atoms available. If H2O2 and NaOCl are present in wash water, you end up with NaCl and H2O and O2. O2 is what you breathe. It's not a good bleach.
The website may be crying wolf about fumes that are harmful to breathe. If you mixed them in concentrated form, maybe the heat and oxygen could cause a plastic container to produce a harmful gas.

It used to be made with lye. I think now they use salt water or some other material. The bleach itself is caustic and produces some lye.
--
Best Regards,
Lloyd

You are probably seeing steam. Mixing OxiClean (or other oxygen cleaner) and household bleach is not recommended. Read the label.