Steam Vacuum Cleaner Recommendation

Sorry if this is the wrong group. I'm trying to get a steam vacuum cleaner to clean my carpet. I'm looking for one that
1. Actually works (will clean stain on carpet).
2. Easy to use. Don't need to switch tools around during cleaning.
Which brand is the best? Is that Hoover - SteamVac with Auto Rinse - Desert Sand (model F7425-900) any good?
Thanks for any info!
ZR

I had the Hoover model that I used for years. Both mine and my sister's lasted for about 7-8 years and then broke. My sister got a Bissell and it was bad out of the box. She exchanged it a couple times and finally gave up. The bottom line is that these are fairly light weight units and are good for maintenance between cleanings. They are good for spots and for touching-up traffic lanes. For a good cleaning, I recommend that you rent a better unit at least once a year. The Rug Doctor or the blue machine from the Home Depot rental department are much better than the household machines. The home units leave the carpeting fairly wet despite what they say.
Technically, none of these units produce steam. They simply spray a solution on your carpet, scrub, and then sucks the solution up. A better term is "extraction" cleaners. For a better cleaning, you should use the machine to put down and scrub the carpet without the vacuum on. Let it sit for about 20-30 minutes, and then turn on the vacuum and suck-up the detergent. Then, go back over it with plain water.
I can't improve on what Vox said, but I do have a different recommendation. For any home owner or even renter who has a lot of carpet, or even a lesser amount of carpet that gets dirty quite often, I recommend buying a small one-piece professional extractor.
I bought a small demonstrator from a source I know and trust. Later I added a wand for stairs, a tool for drapes and upholstery, and a 20 foot hide-a-hose. I'm really set, and it only cost about $2,000. I know that sounds like a lot, but the results are worth every penny.
The extractor has five jets and a horizontal, dual chevron brush. The added tools are an invaluable addition. I make my truck upholstery look as good as new! Machines such as Rug Doctors can't come close to the efficiency of this unit. I know this isn't for everyone, but it really works for me.
Whatever it takes.
I've read the comments and advice in this thread and understand that "home" units are not the best route to take, but assuming one has their heart set on owning a compact home unit, which ones are worth the money? I'm considering a Hoover Agility or a Eureka Atlantis.
On line review sites such as Epinions seem to only have love it or hate it reviews which aren't really helpful.
I live in a small apartment which means I don't have a lot of heavy duty cleaning to do, but it also means the path from my front door to living room couch is a high traffic area. Thanks.
says...