Steam Cleaning

I have been given a small steaming machine for the purposes of cleaning. I am not impressed. I found it hard to hold away from my face, the steam was not strong enough to remove any stains and I had to refill twice just to run it over a small kitchen floor and part of a wall. Two days after "playing" with my steamer my wall tiles near the door fell off. These were the very ones I had tried cleaning. Co-incidence or not?

Steam can soften some adhesives or finishes, maybe good or not. Careful--steam has lots of energy and can easily burn the skin. I use steam to remove drapery wrinkles (and to bend wood!).
We had a small steamer built specifically for helping to remove wallpaper. It was nearly useless.
DIF (http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID ) did the job much better and I would recommend that for small-to-medium do it yourself jobs.
-- Richard Thoms President - Top Service Pros, Inc. Connecting Homeowners and Local Service Professionals http://www.TopServicePros.com