Stained rug

How can I clean reddish-brown cat vomit stains off of a light-colored rug? I can't remember whether the rug is nylon or acrylic. It's one or the other. (Please don't suggest killing the cat. I'm fond of the cat, and it wouldn't help the rug any.)
Thank you, Eva
Cat vomit stains are tough. Every I let my cat out just to sun herself or play on the patio, she would eat grass (and then wait until she was inside to vomit, of course.)
Woolite Oxy-Clean carpet stain remover is very good. There is another carpet stain remover made by Orange Glo; it is called Oxi-Clean. Both of these are in liquid spray bottles.
Be sure to lightly scrape up all the vomited matter that you can. Then spray one of these removers on and walk away, leaving it for a while. Come back, place a cotton rag over the spot and press down hard. (Sometimes I even step on it.) Remove the rag and then take a clean rag and blot all over the stain---I have the best results when I blot, not rub. Blot really hard, sort of beating the carpet with your wadded up rag in your had. Keep moving the rag so that you are always blotting with a clean part of the rag.
It is important to use a rag that is white or another light color. You don't want a color from the rag being transferred to your carpet. The same also for paper towel. I have found out the hard way that some patterned paper towel will bleed colors onto carpet during spot cleaning.
If that doesn't work, repeat.
I also admit to using carpet stain remover on clothing as a very last resort----if it will otherwise be ruined anyway if the spot doesn't come out. To date, I has removed every clothing stain I've tried it on.
I have to say that any stain that I couldn't get out, the carpet cleaner couldn't remove either.
Bissell used to make a little kit of three bottles that came in a box. You would follow their chart and use the appropriate bottle for the particular stain. I liked Bottle 3 because it contained a sort of cleaning fluid in it, and it would work on some things. **However,** cleaning fluid would not work on the cat vomit stain. I'm mentioning this little kit just because I liked to have it around.
I'd love to hear what others suggest for cat vomit or the dreaded **cat incontinence** stains.
Good luck----
Donna

Muvin wrote:

Great----I wasn't sure it was still available.
Donna
Thanks for all your suggestions. I've made a list of the products you recommended and I'm going to Target tomorrow night to see which one I can find. Will get back to you with the results!
Eva

The Bissell 3-bottle kit may be on the shelf with regular rug spot removers. However, if you don't find it there, you might look on the carpet cleaner rental display.
Donna.
One more suggestion: after using the cleaner of your choice, cover the spot with a thick layer of baking soda. Let it dry overnight. You'll be surprised what color the baking soda is when you scrape it up and vacuum the next day.
Cheryl
Donna in Texas wrote:

thnx for the tip ...will try that next time