spot refinishing

Hello----
Does anyone have a method for "spot refinishing" furniture.
By that I mean just refinishing a section instead of the whole area. I have a couple of pieces that have finger nail polish (or something similar) damage that might included about 4 inches square. Hate to refinish the whole top surface.
Thanks-------
Donna