Source for 55 gallon plastic drum ?

Page 2 of 3

Find a carwash and find out who suppliles them with soap & such. I have a friend in the business, he is happy to give them away, they build up so fast, if he doesn't give them away they make his place an eye sore.
The advantage of the carwash is that their containers are much more manageable at 20 gallons. Such a place near me regularly puts them out, with a felt-tip marking of "FREE". They disappear within a day. And the contents are usually water-soluble, so they can be washed out to get rid of the foaming agents. Also, they regularly have 10 gallon containers, and all the containers have caps that are easily manageable. Obviously, if your containers are in the sun much, it wouldn't hurt to replace them before they get brittle and crack, and it sure is nice for them to be free.

Unless you find them on ebay, most people buy drums at music stores no matter what size they are. Now if you wanted a 55 gallon hat, I'd tell you to go to Texas. :)

My local feed store sells used ones for about $15 (blue plastic). The one I got had Snapple in it (which I think is some kind of food product).
I want to get a steel drum with a removable lid and locking band but there aren't any around where I live. I found some free ones on Craig's list but they were already gone. It seems like just about any action shoot-em-up movie has a whole bunch of steel drums and they either get shot up or blown sky-high. What a waste. Maybe Hollywood got them all from around here.

I see them at WalMart for $40.
I make wine. I buy juice that is shipped from California in 55 gallon plastic drums. The place I buy from sells the empty barrels; I got one a few years ago for $10. So if someone near you sells juice to winemakers, see if they will sell you an empty one. More and more, however, they are shipping the juice in six gallon pails.
James wrote:

interesting: http://www.bayteccontainers.com /
Are you having the kerosene delivered or going to get it. Remember, once the drum is full of kerosene, there won't be much difference in weight between a metal drum and a plastic one. You might want to google for some of the kerosene heater sites. They have some interesting info about storage and transport as well.

For the few pounds difference, metal would be far safer. Metal barrels can be found at the local petroleum company.
Hauling that much K-1 in a plastic barrel might not be legal in your area. Its worth finding out. Even if it is legal, it will still be unsafe.
________________________ Whatever it takes.

Thanks ww !!

Or you can try these guys...
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/default.asp
Thanks Robert !!
James

Holy crap, Batman! Double the cost of Walmart. PLUS FREIGHT!
Steve

Yes, but the owner of US Plastics loves Jesus. That's gotta be worth something, right?
"United States Plastic Corporation is a different type of company. When our company was being established more than 50 years ago, the founder, Dr. R. Stanley Tam, made a promise to God that if God would prosper this business he would honor God in any way he could.
God has consistently done His part and, with His help, we do ours to the best of our ability.Mr. Tam has placed 100% of the ownership ofUnited States Plastic Corp.into a foundation whose purpose is to establish churches in third world countries.The dividends paid by the company go to share the Good News of the life changing experience possible for anyone.
We believe in the possibility of a person linking his/her life to God, and we believe that Gods Word can produce a spiritual new birth for anyone who seeks Him and follows His plan."
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/cleaning/Source-for-55-gallon-plastic-drum-5145-.htm Jasprt2 wrote: Uh, "haul" ...like in a truck? There are regs against that (DOT) in the U.S. which is why you can't find any ready made poly transition tanks. I think 5gals is the max for poly fuel containers (in the US) If you have the space on your property you might consider a large metal storage tank (100 to 1000 gallons) and fuel companies deliver to you, so the transport is not an issue. Sometimes cheaper as well.
James wrote:

-------------------------------------
On 9/7/2011 10:08 PM, Jasprt2 wrote:

http://www.homeownershub.com/cleaning/Source-for-55-gallon-plastic-drum-5145-.htm
The best solution is to go to a place such as TSC and get a proper transfer tank, and a pump to go with it. A poly tank is not an viable option (as Jasprt2 says.)
Realize that even 55 gallons will be heavy, and difficult to move. Kerosene weighs almost 7 pounds per gallon, so a 55 gallon tank would hold about 385 pounds of fuel, plus the weight of the container. You want to handle almost 400 pounds of flammable substance in a plastic container? (I don't think so!) The weight difference between plastic and steel is not that great considering the weight of the fuel inside.
TSC, Northern Tool, and a few other companies are your friend here.
--
I'm never going to grow up.

Jasprt2 wrote the following:

http://www.homeownershub.com/cleaning/Source-for-55-gallon-plastic-drum-5145-.htm Original date of message March 7, 2009.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

illegal. Storing it in non-approved containers is unwize at best. Approved portable Gasoline containers MUST be red. Approved portable Kerosene containers are generally Yellow or orange.
On 9/9/2011 10:14 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Gasoline - red Gasoline - green (typically Europe) Diesel - yellow Kerosene - blue water - tan or gray
kerosene is never yellow or orange that I know of.
--
I'm never going to grow up.