Some White Laundry Turned Blue....

I had used Clorox on a spot on my husband's white Bermuda shorts and then put them in the machine with ALL and the rest of the whites. All of my panties and bras turned light blue - the stain did not come out of his shorts and the rest of the whites were white....
Any ideas as to why this happened and more importantly, how I can get my underwear white again???
THanks!
snipped-for-privacy@mylanusa.com (Terri) wrote:

Have you tried rewashing and rebleaching only the blue-tinted pieces?
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~
snipped-for-privacy@mylanusa.com (Terri) wrote:

I understand your concern. I have always avoided wearing bluish bras and panties.
When you say Clorox, do you mean traditional household bleach, sodium hypochlorite? If you poured it directly on a pair of shorts, I don't know why it didn't leave a yellow spot and weaken the fabric. Bleach works only on certain kinds of spots.
Are the bras and panties the same brand? Here's a possibility. The manufacturer found that customers preferred the brightest white underwear in a store. He got a brilliant white by tinting them with bluing and something that would fluoresce yellow. If the yellow came out in the wash, you're left with blue. If there was much bleach in the water, that might have caused the yellow to come out.
--
Best Regards,
Lloyd