Smelly apartment after a flood

Page 1 of 2
Hi everyone, I need your help! 2 nights ago, a pipe in my apartment burst and flooded my apartment in several inches of water. Everything is mostly dry now, but the apartment stinks like you wouldn't believe. any hints on how to get the mouldy wet smells out? I have half carpet half floors. It is really humid out and very hot, and raining on and off, so i have the windows closed and the AC on. I also have cats, so the bathroom smells the worst, where the water mingled with cat food and litter. I cant breathe in here, but I have nowhere to escape to, please help!

Your landlord should be addressing this. The carpet probably needs to be removed along with the padding. Water probably penetrated into the wall cavities and no doubt wicked into the wallboard. Of course, the contents are your responsibility. If you have renter's insurance, you should contact you agent to see what coverage might be available.
The problem is that there is water in places you can't see. If not dried properly, you will have mold. The mold could be a health hazard. If I were you, I would also contact the local building inspector/code enforcement office to see what they have to say. You might also call the city/county health department.
You should contact your landlord ASAP and follow up with a written notice. The landlord is required to provide a safe and sanitary apartment so at the very least, you should not have to pay rent while your apartment is not inhabitable. I would ask for compensation. If you get any resistance, contact an attorney immediately.
Run fans and a dehumidifier for 2-4 weeks, until you see less water collected. You'll see a jump in your electric bill for that month, although this is the best method. Perhaps your landlord will supply the dehumidifier. Else, move out.
On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 17:54:32 -0400, "Angela St.Aubin"

I'd definitely remove all carpeting, wash whatever I could down with a diluted bleach solution, and dehumidify. Give the weather where you are opening windows just won't help. The AC is probably helping you out a little, that does take some moisture out of the air. The landlord should pick up the bill so keep all receipts.
Any repairs he needs to make to fix your apartment are a tax write off for him (only give him your receipts AFTER he's reimbursed you--he'll need those receipts for his taxes). Don't be shy asking for the repair.