Small high pressure tank

Page 1 of 2
I just visited my mechanic yesterday and had a chat with him. Again, I noticed a device he has which is a pressurized tank that he uses as a sort of custom aerosol. He can fill it part way with some solution and pressurize it up to over 100 PSI and spray from it. I guess it is about 1/2 gallon capacity. It's shaped like a fat version of those small propane tanks.
I've looked for something like this in vain at my local auto parts store - Kragen. My mechanic tells me he bought it from a Wurth distributor who used to visit his shop every month or so. He tells me that he thinks that Kent may also distribute or make one. He figures he paid around $50 for his.
I want this as a sort of high performance cleaning tool. They were recommended to me as such. I have the Dust Off stuff they sell at Costco, but the pressure's pretty weak out of those. I figure I can use my tire inflator to pump 100 PSI into it, if I can get one. Does anyone know a good place where I can pick up one of these? I live in Berkeley, CA. Thanks!
Dan
Check out http://www.mcmaster.com/ they have all sorts of stuff use sprayer for the search.
Wayne

try a tire.. pump it up and you got a small tank.
randy

xrongor wrote:

... Randy, soon's you get a tire pumped to 100+ psi, let us know, OK? Report in each time you reinflate it, please; we'll consider sending flowers.
Pop

you dont need 100psi to blow off some dust.. you dont need to use a car tire...
you do need to use your head though..
randy

Truck tires are customarily inflated to 100 psi . . . -Tock

dont bother. some people are here just to find 'flaws' in the ideas of others and have no interest in facts.
randy
Whew, that sounds like very dangerous advice to me - a tyre blowing out with a 100lb/in or pressure is a very lethal weapon - a guy was killed a while back when a tyre let go wiht no where near that amount of pressure.
David - who is horrified that someone would actually suggest something so dangerous
xrongor wrote:

sigh.
a) lo and behold, some tires are actually rated for 100psi. find a source for these tires to prove it to yourself. b) who said you need 100 psi to make a glorified can of air for blowing dust? specifically when did i say it? c) lets see your cite for this exploding tire.
randy

xrongor wrote:

Chill...while he shewed lack of knowldege, tires <do> burst rather more frequently than one might hope...that's why truck tires are remounted in the heavy cages...to capture potential shrapnel...
It was really much worse in the days of old split rims, but that wasn't so much the tire exploding as the locking ring not holding...
On 12/31/2004 9:35 AM US(ET), Duane Bozarth took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

I was a truck mechanic for a short while back in the late 50s. One of my least favorite jobs was changing a split ring truck tire. I would place the wheel on a work bench and then inflate it while I ducked down next to the workbench with only my one hand, holding the inflater, above the tire. Fortunately, I never had one blow off, but I only did a few of them.
--
Bill

xrongor wrote:

Sure, I'll take your word for that, but the idiot that suggested inflating the tyre to that level didn't bother pointing out that it would be necessary to hunt around for a tyre that would handle that sort of pressure.

I think the OP said he wanted that sort of pressure

I was at the hospital when his wife came in after being informed - the guy was inflating a (front) tractor tyre after a repair when it let go. Not nice at all. Local paper carried the story.
David

quietguy wrote:

People are insane. What was the deal, someone said that a piece of rubber from a tire that blew up with only, I don't know, thirty or forty pounds, took out a car window. I think there's a lesson there but what do I know.
--

Personally, I believe that 9/11 should have taught us the lesson that we
can't let these countries simmer endlessly in disillusionment without

Harbor Freight sells them.
:
: :> I just visited my mechanic yesterday and had a chat with him. Again, I :> noticed a device he has which is a pressurized tank that he uses as a :> sort of custom aerosol. He can fill it part way with some solution and :> pressurize it up to over 100 PSI and spray from it. I guess it is about :> 1/2 gallon capacity. It's shaped like a fat version of those small :> propane tanks. :> :> I've looked for something like this in vain at my local auto parts store :> - Kragen. My mechanic tells me he bought it from a Wurth distributor who :> used to visit his shop every month or so. He tells me that he thinks :> that Kent may also distribute or make one. He figures he paid around $50 :> for his. :> :> I want this as a sort of high performance cleaning tool. They were :> recommended to me as such. I have the Dust Off stuff they sell at :> Costco, but the pressure's pretty weak out of those. I figure I can use :> my tire inflator to pump 100 PSI into it, if I can get one. Does anyone :> know a good place where I can pick up one of these? I live in Berkeley, :> CA. Thanks! :> :> Dan : :Harbor Freight sells them. : Yeah! That's it! I actually first heard of this from a guy at a machine shop who fixed an old motor of mine. He said he thought I should think about getting myself a Sure Shot pressurizable tank to clean out the motor when I needed to (and similar tasks). I looked at Kragen Auto Parts, asked my mechanic, checked out a few other local places and couldn't find anything.
Harbor Freight sells the Sure Shot itself:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber1058
Thanks!!!

Harbor freight part number 01102-3BPA for $9.99
John Hines wrote:

Now $4.99
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?function=Search
:John Hines wrote:
:>> I want this as a sort of high performance cleaning tool. They were :>> recommended to me as such. I have the Dust Off stuff they sell at :>> Costco, but the pressure's pretty weak out of those. I figure I can :>> use my tire inflator to pump 100 PSI into it, if I can get one. Does :>> anyone know a good place where I can pick up one of these? I live in :>> Berkeley, CA. Thanks! :> :> Harbor freight part number 01102-3BPA for $9.99 : :Now $4.99 : :http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?function=Search : Yes. Now that looks like a handy thing but I don't think it will function as a high performance air cleaning aid, which is what I was after. However, a refillable reusable aerosol spray can - that's very interesting.
:>I want this as a sort of high performance cleaning tool. They were :>recommended to me as such. I have the Dust Off stuff they sell at :>Costco, but the pressure's pretty weak out of those. I figure I can use :>my tire inflator to pump 100 PSI into it, if I can get one. Does anyone :>know a good place where I can pick up one of these? I live in Berkeley, :>CA. Thanks! : :Harbor freight part number 01102-3BPA for $9.99
Actually it's currently discounted to $4.99
all auto parts stores here have 5gal carry tanks, 125psi max for about $25 then you'd unscrew the tire inflator end and add a hose end spray nozzle for five bucks or more. They also have bigger ones 10gal maybe $35 15gal stand up on hand truck wheels $49 even the one dollar bargain store here has a bunch of them.