sink question

I am new here but just got a wonderful job cleaning some houses and thought this might be a great place if I ran into any cleaning problems.

Well I have one. I don't think there is a thing that can be done about it but thought I'd give it a shot.

One kitchen has a corner double stainless steel sink. Problem is half of it has lost it's shine. I don't know what caused that to happen, kinda like the shiny finish has somehow been taken out (chemically) if that's possible. The sinks are aprox 10 years old and since it's only one sink that it dull it's really ugly. Any suggestions on how I might bring the shine back?

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!

SR aka turkeylady

Reply to
turkeylady

If steel has at least 13% chromium, it shouldn't corrode. Manganese sulfide is added to stainless steel because the resulting metal is easier to make into objects. As the molten metal cools, the sulfide attracts chromium, which means there may be less than 13% chromium at other spots. That's where pitting can happen. The dull sink may have had long exposure to water containing acid or chloride.

Bar Keeper's Friend might work. If not, automotive rubbing compound might work. (It's normally used with an electric buffer.) If that doesn't work, #600 wet sandpaper might do it.

Reply to
Lloyd Randall

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 21:48:57 -0500, "turkeylady" scribbled in red crayon:

Sounds like someone used bleach to try to clean it. I don't know how to restore the shine, but if you are cleaning houses, never use chlorine bleach on stainless steel.

~Piper~ Life is simpler when you plow around the stumps.

Reply to
Piper

Reply to
Phisherman

Is it safe for kitchen use? My kitchen counter is stainless steel.

Reply to
Baroness Benachi

The Brasso reads," Stainless Steel: sinks, appliances, boat fittings Suggested uses include brass beds, fireplace acc., lamps, belt buckles, chrome auto trim, copper tea kettles, pewter plates, plastic watch crystals."

It also says," Keep out of reach of children. Danger: Harmful or fatal if swallowed. Eye irritant. Vapors harmful. Combustible."

I han't noticed vapors or eye irritant but I use >Is it safe for kitchen use? My kitchen counter is stainless steel. >

Reply to
Phisherman

Hi I fill my stainless steel sink with boiling hot water with about 1/4 cup bleach added to it. I let it soak for 1/2 hour then drain the sink. It leaves the sink sanitized and sparkling clean. Without having to scrub!

Reply to
kimberlycards

The Brasso helped some.

Reply to
turkeylady

A more aggressive approach is to use the finest auto rubbing compound and an auto buffer fitted with a bonnet. I did this to my counter tops and sink with excellent results. If your sink has many scratches, use two grades of rubbing compound.

Reply to
Phisherman

If I asked the shop to borrow a buffer they will freak! but who knows after the owners go home Sunday I might just feel adventurous. I've already been told I have the houses cleaner then they have been in years.

Sheila

Reply to
turkeylady

Hi the best cleaner i have found is "Hope Stainless Cleaner" it can be purchased at Bed Bath and Beyond and probably a lot of other places. Makes abused sinks look like new.

Reply to
Joe Lahey