Self-cleaning oven question

If a self-clean oven has not been cleaned and is in a bit of a state what is the best way to get it back into condition? Can oven cleaner be used and cleaned manually and then start on self cleaning? Or is it better just to use the self-cleaning at this late stage?
Tufts
206.172.150.13:

Scrape any excess soil from the surfaces. Use the self-cleaning cycle for the longest time period. Remove ash, and repeat process (cycles) as many times as needed to remove all deposits.
Chemicals can damage the enamel surface of self-cleaning ranges.
Wayne
My sister ruined her self cleaning oven many years ago, using oven cleaner on it.
You can wash off the bottom of the oven using mildly abrasive pads - just to give it a head start. Then turn on the oven for the longest recommended time. I recently cleaned mine and also had two badly crusted iron skillets in there. Came clean with just 2 1/2 hours instead of the usual 3 1/2.
Be prepared to brush out the ash as soon as it is cool enough. Dry cloth works best so you don't smear it around.
Dorothy

liners?
I found this page for you Sweep http://www.howstuffworks.com/question559.htm I've never been lucky enough to own one of these 'self cleaning' beasts but I have owned one with the removable linings. They kept my oven remarkably clean on the top back and sides but I still had the bottom to sort. I have no idea how they worked.