scunci steamer

has anyone bought the scunci steamer advertised on TV for cleaning bathrooms and other household items?
how is it? is it as good as it sounds?
hh

That steamer is sold under a number of names. ( Do a search for "steam cleaner" at www.froogle.com) I got one sold as a McCulloch brand steamer. I paid $29 for it a few months ago on sale at a discount superstore. It only holds 6 oz. of water and that doesn't last long. You have to let it cool before refilling. The glass attachment (squeegee) is useless. The extension hose is pretty stiff and awkward and I rarely use it. I do like it for getting into crevasses and places that are otherwise impossible to clean. It works well on the refrigerator gasket and on surfaces that you don't want to soak with water -- like control panels on appliances. It worked well in that bathroom. It is OK as a supplemental cleaner, but it isn't up to being the primary cleaning tool.
This week I tried to use it and it would heat up but not emit steam. I looks like an o ring on the cap tore and is preventing the unit from operating properly. I have only used it a few times so I'm not all that impressed with the reliability. If it is only an o ring, then the fix will be easy, but if there is another problem, then it most likely won't be worth fixing.
I really like steam for cleaning and have been using a dedicated steam mop on my floors for several years. If I had to do it over again, I would get a single unit to replace both of my steamers. I would look for one with a high temperature steam output and one with a large reservoir, preferably one that can be refilled without cooling the unit. I think I would prefer this unit: http://www.hsn.com/cnt/prod/default.aspx?webp_id 41464&web_id41464&sz=0&sf=&dept=&cat=&subcat=&gs=&attr
While trying to bore myself to sleep last night, I saw an infomercial on it. It looks exactly like the one that I bought at Linen's and Things for 49.99. The hand helds are good for small jobs but for tackling a bathroom or car tires, you really need a bigger one. The hand held ones are good for about 15 minutes and then you have to let them cool before refilling...a pain. My bigger one rolls on wheels and lasts about 45 minutes and I can refill it immediately.

You might want to see if there is a hardware store in your area that sells the MARC line of cleaning products. MARC has a general cleaner that is outstanding for cleaning floors, kitchens, bathrooms, etc. It is also an excellent laundry pre-wash too. I sell loads of it to schools and hotels in California and Oregon. They love it because unlike the others it works.
It is called MINT POWER OFF and is really inexpensive. It sells for about $5.25 in hardware stores for a quart. Or, you can order it from the company for about $49.00 for a dozen quarts.
MARC home office in Nebraska is 1.800.228.8508
Ed Gundy MARC Sales Rep for Oregon and California 1.541.580.1093

To put it simply - for me it sucked! I saw the infomercial for another steamer, pretty much the same thing, showing how it dissolves mildew and mold, how it cleans all grime off the insides of toilets in seconds, between tiles, soap scum, etc. Well, I bought the scunci. First of all after filling 9 oz of water into it, it only lasts about 10-15 minutes if you're lucky. To refill you have to unplug and wait until it cools, around 5-10 minutes. Besides that, I tried it on my refrigerator for the mold on the side; it took forever to come off. I literally got a cramp in my hand from holding it there. Okay, I thought, maybe the mold was, well, too moldy, let me try the toilet. Lo and behold, after kneeling for about 10 minutes where my steam ran out, it did not take off any grime. Okay, okay, I thought, well, let me wait, refill it and try my soap scum in the shower. Ten minutes later I'm standing in the tub in front on one, yes one, soap scummed tile steaming it for about 5 minutes...did the soap scum come off? NO ! OKAY OKAY, I'll try my refrigerator door, worked pretty good, which was one conciliation, and I tried my vertical blinds, it took along time doing it and ALOT of refills, but it worked. So to sum it all up, it's easier to buy a cleaner and use a sponge or rag and do it old school.
HH wrote:

I have a steam blaster and to be honest I love mine it works really good. Now it don't just make things disapier but I never thought it would. They say the best time to clean your bathroom is right after you get out of the shower because the heat / steam brakes up the grim making it easier to clean and this is pretty much what the steam blaster does if you use the steam blaster then take a cloth and wipe the area it works you don't need cleanners if thats your choice. As far as they have to be refilled all the time well it's no more then any other thing you would use and if you don't hold the triger down all the way it last longer as well I think it is a good buy for most people it kills bactiera that's for sure better the cleaners.