Rust stain on cotton towel

Hi,

apart from one "green" household hints book which recommends that I boil the stained part of the towel in a solution of Cream of Tartar, I'd like to know what others have found useful for getting out quite a bad rust stain from a white towel. It was left damp with a safety pin inside which, of course, rusted.

Thanks,

avril

Reply to
av

I had all my whites sorted and ready to wash a few weeks ago only to come home to find that the water heater rusted through, soaking the clothes with rusty water. I got some Iron Out and added it to the wash water, soaking them for several hours. It took out all the rust.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Hi and thank you for your response. As is often the case, I don't know that product by that name here in Melbourne, Australia (unless it is a hardware item that I'm unfamiliar with).

Could you please tell me what are its active ingredients?

Thank you,

avril

Reply to
av

lemon juice and salt boiled rhubarb juice

Reply to
Dawn

Boiled rhubarb juice will remove a stain? I would think it would leave a red/pink stain? ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Delete the obvious to reply to me personally. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reply to
Lobo

Not if you use the green variety of rhubarb :)

Reply to
Dawn

Hi Avril,

Rust is removed using acid treatments, which is why things like lemon juice can have an effect. Start with acetic acid or Pickling vinegar and work to stronger acid groups or even specific rust removers.

However, cotton likes alkaline not acid conditions so have some dilute ammonia handy to stop any adverse reaction when you get on to higher grade acids or specific rust treatments.

Hope this helps

Reply to
DrClean

Drench the stain thorougly with bottled lemon juice, and leave it outside in direct bright sunlight for a few hours. Sometimes it takes two or three treatments to fully get rid of the rust stain, sometimes only one.

My husband used to get his workshirts covered with rust stains fairly often, and this always worked for me. (Why hospitals like to select blue and white striped shirts for heating/AC maintenance personnel who get covered in rust and black grease is beyond me.) At least the place he works now had more sense, and picked brown shirts.

Reply to
jamie

snip

I'm not familiar with a green variety ... will a green stalk work? ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Delete the obvious to reply to me personally. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reply to
Lobo

I believe green has more acid than red so if it works I guess green would work best.

Reply to
Dawn