**** ruined taps****

just used harpic limescale remover on my gorgeous taps in the bathroom, they have turned pink!!!! so it has blatenly taken off the shiny colour, does anyone know how to restore this????? please!!!!
On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 11:27:59 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

What is "harpic limescale remover?" What is the composition of your taps? I know some faucet manufacturers recommend wiping only--no chemicals, not even white vinegar. This is true for some gold-plated taps. I have (typical) chrome faucets and use Brasso once or twice a year to make them shine, but I can't suggest that over what the manufacturer recommends. Milder than Brasso, is liquid Woolite (for clothes) which is non-abrasive and makes most faucets shine (don't ask me why--my mother discovered this).
Phisherman wrote:

Harpic Limescale remover is very corrosive and is for TOILET bowls only , I believe it is hydrochloric acid based. I can't think what the taps could be made of that would allow them to turn pink.

Hydrochloric acid is the strongest acid. The fumes will attack most metals and etch porcelain. It is also known as muractic acid and I can't think of a way to safely keep this in a house. I think the OP may have to replace the taps.
Phisherman wrote:

Pink is quite fashionable these days.
Phisherman wrote:

Carborane superacid is the strongest acid. It's a million times stronger than sulfuric acid and is entirely noncorrosive.

The very thought of it gives me heartburn.

I stand corrected. There have been many new discoveries since my college chemistry. At that time hydrochloric acid (HCl) was the strongest acid, but it is probably the strongest acid used in cleaning procedures.

I disagree: Fluoroantimonic acid HFSbF5, or maybe hydrogen flouride, or one of the carborane superacids?
Ha! It even depends on what yardstick one uses. :-) Intersting stuff.
________________________ Whatever it takes.
On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 11:27:59 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I manage a guest house and this is the main reason I never leave any acidic cleaner where guests can reach it. Fortunately, I rarely need one.
For me "lime scale" remover screams "Acid"; and that means definitely no contact with plated surfaces. I'm sorry this happened to you.
The pink is a thin copper coating that holds onto the chrome or gold plating on your taps. The acidic cleaner reverses the plating process--which uses an acid bath.
A motorcycle shop can direct you to someone who does chrome plating. All things considered, replacing the taps might be less expensive.
________________________ Whatever it takes.