Roomba vs. Trilobite

Page 1 of 2
Thinking about getting one of this gadget. However, I notice that there are three types for Roomba : Standard, Roomba Red (or is this Pro Lite?), and Roomba Discovery (or the one with SE on it). The price starts around US $150, $225 form Pro-lite and $260 for Discovery. What are the differences in those three? Which one is the best one... the most expensive one (the Discovery)? I like the red colour (Pro lite)... but does it has less features than the Discovery? Then, I saw the Electrolux Trilobite ... a very nice machine, but it costs around US $1600! Why is there so much difference in cost between Roomba and Trilobite? Is Trilobite for real, heavy duty cleaning (rather than a robotic "toy" like Roomba)? Is it worth to get $1600 vacum cleaner in the long run? Has it better quality, service and performance? Need some opinion on this. Thanks. Do any of these cleaners need a special order vacuum bags, which is only supplied by the manufacturer? I also heard about rechargable batteries... How fast that we need to keep buying new batteries? I am a little wary that I can get sucked by these manufacturers, which probably have strategy to sell more of the accessories (just like a cheap printers, when you have to pay a fortune for the ink... or a free cell phone, but you have to pay arm and legs to use it). Thanks for info.
I have to think these things are a passing fad... there is simply no way a unit that small, running on batteries, can clean carpet decently.
Maybe it would be ok for a kitchen floor or something.
I'm sure it would be fun to watch.... for a while... and then one day you realize that you are still lugging out the Hoover every week anyway.
Matt wrote:

There are those of us who don't like or want carpet, and therefore have hardwood floors or tile everywhere. These little suckers probably rock in that kind of environment.
Still waiting for one that will do stairs though. (actually, I'm going to build it soon as I know enough on how to do it...)
--
Marc D.
(reply-to is black hole. Contact: list on domain ryuu in Canada)
Matt wrote:

Lots of people said that about phones, computers, and t.v.'s :-)

decently.
anyway.
It's a maintenance tool. It works great if you use it every week or more often. We set ours up to run while we are at work in the morning. If you use it often, there's less need for the heavy-duty vacuuming.
jen

How do you get it to run while you're gone? I've been saying all along that it is missing a timer so it can be scheduled to do its job while one is gone.
Starsha wrote:
along that

is
Just get the room "roomba-ready," take it out of the charger, place it in the room, press the on button, and then walk out the door! It stops automatically when it's done.
Sometimes it does get stuck while I'm out, but we've figured out the potential trouble spots and can elimate them before operating. Although there was this one run-in with a fuzzy red sock. Not a pretty sight. :-(
It does help to have the room picked up and decluttered. Which is one thing I do like about the Roomba - forces you to keep things picked up and roomba-ready.
jen
And here we get to the bot I really want: something to pick up the dog toys before the roomba starts! Humm, the $11 RC missile launcher from Walmart as a base, the Movit robotic arm trainer, CMU cam, sonar, more time in a day,...
Paul
shinypenny wrote: . . .

Catman wrote:

dog
from
more
I want a self-cleaning bathroom, kinda like those public toilets they've got in the cities now, where you pay a quarter, and after you use it, it locks down and goes through a complete cleaning cycle. Or at very least, a self-cleaning shower/tub.
And I would like a robotic floor steamer. I like my Bissel floor steamer (my newest gadget) - it is way better than a mop and bucket - but having a robotic version would be totally cool!
jen
There was an April Fools Spoof in Nuts & Volts a few years ago. The fake article talked about a making a steam cleaning robot by modifying a steam turbine model kit to power the bot's wheels and shoot its discharge into the carpet.
The article was written well enough that I thought the writer had just gotten a little carried away with a big project until I read the about the author section.
Paul
shinypenny wrote:

Catman ( snipped-for-privacy@void.invallid) wrote: : And here we get to the bot I really want: something to pick up the dog : toys before the roomba starts!
Why make it a separate robot? We need a roomba with a mechanical arm! If it detects an object that's too big to vacuum up, but small enough to pick up, it picks it up with the mechanical arm, vacuums under it, and puts it back down afterwards.
--- Chip
what happens if the Roomba runs over a lamp cord?
Bonnie Jean wrote:

You get a clean lamp cord. :)

I was a bit skeptical, but it handles my office just fine. Lan cables, power cords, etc. Overall, I'm very impressed.
Took it to mom's for a demo sunday, and it ALMOST got stuck in a tight pocket, and mom was kind of laughing at it, and about that time, it worked out how to get loose. You should have seen the expression when I opened the dustbin! She keeps a pretty nice house, but Roomba gets all those little places that you'd just skip with the big vac.

the
I keep hoping to find a cheap one at a garage sale to give to my sister, to exercise her cats while they are away at work 9-10 hours a day. Don't really give a rip if it cleans well. (Although if it did keep the top layer of cat fur skimmed off the carpet, it would probably be a plus for my allergies when I visit there...)
aem sends...

Well, after reading this thread and researching on the web for a couple weeks prior to this thread, I went ahead and bought a Roomba today.
I like it a lot, except for one problem that I haven't seen mentioned. There's a big oriental rug in our living room that has a fair amount of black in it, as well as a black border (no fringe). It treats the black parts like the edge of the stairs. It won't vacuum them, nor will it go up on the rug because of the border. I'm considering taking it back, but I might try calling the company first. Of all the things...
--Jodi
We tried a Roomba and returned it the next day. It didn't do a particularly good job of cleaning and the carpet looked like crop circles had been cut into it. If you miss the psychedelic 60's you might like that but it looked awful to us.
From:aniram snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

might

Wow, that has so not been my experience with the Roomba. Do you have high pile carpeting? It's better with low pile.
The Roomba Discovery is the way to go, even if it is a little more expensive. It has a larger dust bin, its battery recharges faster, and it returns on it's own to is docking bay when the battery gets low. I'm sorry, but what more do you want from a vacuum? I have one and I really appreciate it as a convenience. Now I only do the old fashion vacuuming once a month instead of every Sunday, which I hated. I'm happier and my floors stay clean. Win Win in my opinion.
Yes we have thick carpeting so maybe it's OK on thinner stuff or berber. Maybe new models are better - we tried it a year ago. They sell a lot of them so they must work for someone and if the choice is Roomba vs. not vacuuming weekly then it's probably worth it.
From:Durian snipped-for-privacy@earthling.net

Durian wrote:

Yes I don't think you can throw away the old fashion vacuum. Ours has a vibrator that brings sandy particles to the surface for removal. We need a robot that can use vacuum cleaners the way we do for those monthly cleans :)
JGCASEY wrote:

Or at least a robot one with a rotating brush or some other kind of vibrator. Like you say, that brings the dirt to surface.