Ring around the collar

Do those hand held steamers get the rings or dried greasy food stains out?

No. Use a pre-wash on the collar and then launder.
I used to buy custom made 100% cotton dress shirts. Because of heavy starch, they lasted two to three years a the most (5 shirts rotated evenly and worn 5 days a week). I was told by Custom Shirt Shop of Cleveland Ohio that NOTHING would get that stain out that develops over time around the collar; they are body oils that simply permanently stain and yellow the shirt.
I never did find anything that disproves that... and I tried. Now that I'm retired, I've got a closet full of dress white shirt that have become kick-around work shirts. A damn shame at about ninety bucks a throw!

Hi John
At 39 bucks a shirt they should have put the satin(?) neck and cuff liners in them to protect those area from yellowing.
TTUL Gary

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 07:33:52 GMT, "John Gregory"

John, is there no one living near you that can turn a collar? If so, they can turn and reverse so any wear or stain will be unseen.
On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 07:33:52 GMT, "John Gregory"

Use ordinary shampoo (like for your hair). It's specially developed to remove body oils. Pour on, let sit, wash as normal.
Ring gone.
as long as the shirt is not sik or wool oven clean sprayed on it and left for a few minutes works great--reason why is oven clean is lye or sodium hydroxide--it reacts with the oils and fats to make soap
so in essence you are turning the material into soap--please be careful not to get in eyes and do not lave near children--getting this in your eyes is bad news
hth peter