Removing stains on acrylic sweater

Hello!
I just received a nice, white 100% acrylic sweater but it has a couple of stains of unknown origin on it. (One looks like it might have been a coffee-type stain.) I also don't know whether the sweater was already washed & dried. I'm afraid of discoloring the sweater or setting in the stain if it's not set in already.
TIA. ~ Learner ~

If the sweater is valuable, then I would take it to a reputable drycleaner and let them remove the stain.

Hi Learner,
Try acetic acid 100% solution or white vinegar as a substitute. After that try hydrogen peroxide.
There's an example on www.DrClean.co.uk/surgery_stains/stains_techniques3.asp which shows a tea stain being removed.
Hope this helps
--
DrClean