removing paint from wall.

I removed some nails from my wall, put in some spackle, and repainted. However, I used one two many coats and need to sand it down and redo it. What's the type of sandpaper I should use? Also, is there any other mechanism I can use to make it a little easier. I'm using 150 sandpaper and it doesn't seem strong enough.
Thanks