How to Remove Odor from a Dry Clean Only Item (2023 Update)

A few years ago, I bought a men's suit from a thrift shop,

The suit fit me perfectly, but I noticed body odor (most likely, and maybe some smoking odor) in the armpits.

I had it dry cleaned at two different cleaners (a cheap one first, and then an expensive one) and the odor was still there.

Yesterday, I had my wife just hang the coat outside in a shady area on a sunny day. It's a dark blue suit and we did not want to bleach it in the sun.

The odor is almost completely gone after just one day! She is going to give it some more treatments, but I think we have solved the problem.

I guess this is primarily due to ozone. The ozone theory is why we tried it in the first place.

Reply to
Tom Adams

Removing odor from a dry clean only item can be a challenge, especially if the odor is persistent and does not go away after dry cleaning. One solution that has worked for some is using ozone treatment, which is believed to break down and remove odor-causing molecules.

Here are some steps you can take to remove odor from a dry clean only item:

  1. Hang the item outside in a shady area on a sunny day. Make sure it is not in direct sunlight, as this can cause fading or bleaching.
  2. Leave the item outside for at least a few hours, or overnight if possible.
  3. Bring the item inside and check for any remaining odor. If the odor is still present, repeat the process until the odor is gone.
  4. If necessary, you can also try using a commercial ozone generator, which can be rented or purchased from some home improvement stores or online retailers. Follow the instructions carefully to avoid any potential hazards.

When attempting to remove odor from a dry clean only item, it's important to be cautious and take the necessary precautions to avoid damaging the item. In the case of the men's suit mentioned above, hanging it outside in a shady area on a sunny day proved to be an effective solution.

While ozone treatment can be effective, it's important to note that it may not work for all types of odor or all types of fabric. If the odor persists after trying ozone treatment, it may be necessary to seek the help of a professional dry cleaner who specializes in odor removal.

Overall, removing odor from a dry clean only item can be a challenge, but with the right approach, it is possible to successfully eliminate the odor and restore the item to its original condition.

Reply to
HomeOwnersHub Advisor