Removing odor from a dry clean only item

A few years ago, I bought a men's suit from a thrift shop,
The suit fit me perfectly, but I noticed body odor (most likely, and maybe some smoking odor) in the armpits.
I had it dry cleaned at two different cleaners (a cheap one first, and then an expensive one) and the odor was still there.
Yesterday, I had my wife just hang the coat outside in a shady area on a sunny day. It's a dark blue suit and we did not want to bleach it in the sun.
The odor is almost completely gone after just one day! She is going to give it some more treatments, but I think we have solved the problem.
I guess this is primarily due to ozone. The ozone theory is why we tried it in the first place.