removing cat stink, from carpet

Hi all,
Any tips on getting rid of 'cat smell' from carpets and the air?
I've read a few tips from different places and they all suggest something different. You'd think, after a while, that you'd read the same hints, etc.
Raelene - who said 'goodbye' to the cat, Ozzie. xxx
Ozzie - RIP 15th Oct, 2004
Raelene, My condolences. It is best to completely remove the carpeting and padding. Wash the floor, perhaps an oil soap such as Murphy's will work well. Weather permitting, open all the windows and use fans. You may need to seal the (wooden) floor with a shellac-based sealer before installing new padding and carpet.
read the post below on Cat Urine Odor .

etc.