remedy for onion smell on hands

Just wanted to see if anyone here had heard of a neat way to remove the odor left on your hands from cutting up onions.
A friend told me to wash my hands after cutting up the onion, then rub them all over the stainless steel faucet of my kitchen sink. It really does work!
Wonder why?
Cindy in WV
CindyP wrote:

Chemicals in an onion can react with each other quickly. That's how you can end up with sulphuric acid in your eyes. It seems that something in the stainless steel acts as a catalyst for a reaction that breaks down the chemicals that cause odor. It may be the nickel. Somebody needs to experiment with different metals.
Onions contain amino acid sulfoxides. Most sulfur compounds are reactive with metal ions, so when the sulfur contacts metal there is a reaction and the sulfur becomes "fixed." I have found that wetting the hands with lemon juice or vinegar, then sprinkle salt over the hands, rub hands together for a minute, and rinse in cool water works well--also for cutting boards.
On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 01:47:09 GMT, "CindyP"

rub your hands in the salad itself before serving.
Lets you reduce your expenditure on onions