REFRIGERATOR

I am going to store my former fridge in my enclosed garage. I will have it turned off & unplugged with the door closed since it will not be used. I plan in the long run to get rid of it since it is 20 yeas old but still runs. I was just getting tired of the white color & went to black. What I would like to know is if anything at all can get into it since I will have the door closed?? If anyone knows.. please let me know. Thanks! ..Mindy

Reply to
Mindy

The most tragic thing that can happen is for a small child to get into the refrigerator and shut the door. You need to store it so this can't happen. You can put the refrigerator in a position where the door is against the wall, you can put a chain or rope around the door to prevent it from being opened, or you can remove the door. There isn't any other thing that can get into it, but if you don't clean it well, bacteria and fungus can grow and cause a very bad odor. I stored a freezer for a couple of years, and beforehand, I cleaned it very well and washed it out with a bleach solution. After a thorough cleaning, I left the door open for a few days to assure that it was completely dry.

If the only reason that you are getting rid of the refrigerator is because of the color, you might look into having it painted. I checked out this option about a year ago, and was quoted a fee of $110 for the first appliance and $50 for each subsequent appliance. This was an electrostatic painting process that was suppose to be thicker and more durable than the factory pain job. That would be much cheaper than buying a new appliance. If you are junking the refrigerator and you live in the US, you will have to have the refrigerant recovered from the machine and affix a certificate. That cost me $40 ten years ago. Then you will most likely have to pay to have the refrigerator hauled away. Before you know it, you will have spent $100. It is unlikely that you would get more than $50 for a 20 year old appliance if you tried to sell it. Of course, newer appliances are more energy efficient, but you would have to calculate the amount of time that it would take to break even.

Reply to
Vox Humana

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 11:18:35 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Mindy) scribbled:

I highly recommend removing the door and calling someone to haul it away for you. It's dangerous to store a refrigerator with the door on.

Nan

Reply to
Nan

As latching refrigerators haven't been made for 40 years, the most tragic thing that can happen is for a child to *fail* to shut the door.

We've tried that. It's inconvenient for adults who want a snack.

With no door?

Borax is bacteriostatic and fungistatic. If you wash a surface with borax and water, the residue can prevent growth.

Reply to
Barbecue Bob

Thanks everyone for your advice! Always appreciated! ..Mindy

Reply to
Mindy