Re: Soap residue on glass shower door

I have new shower doors in both bathrooms and they came with the recommendation to use Comet spray. I have found the best thing to do is spray, wipe with a clean cloth then spray with a bottle of plain white vinegar and water mixed, and wipe again. The reason for this is that the Comet will cause soap to suds up if it's on the glass. If there isn't a lot of suds foaming, I skip the first "wipe" and just spray the vinegar/water mixture on top of the comet. You can find empty spray bottles at the dollar store. Vinegar/water mix also cleans a lot of stuff....

Dorothy

Reply to
Dorot29701

procedure that

A friend bought some Kaboom at COSTCO and gave me one. That stuff does old soap scum like a miracle. I had tried different products over the year and where the Kaboom dribbled down the glass, it is perfectly clear & see through. One thing about Kaboom is that it comes out as a foam although it looks like it should be more along the liquid Windex line. But bottom line, it cleans old soap scum from glass like a miracle. aloha, thunder

Farmers & Sellers of 100% Kona Coffee & Kona Macadamias & rare Lehua Honey

Reply to
Smithfarms Pure Kona

I was dissatisfied with Tilex, vinegar, and other cleaners until I tried baking soda. Now I make a paste with equal parts baking soda and salt and put it on my cloth.

Reply to
Lloyd Randall

I'm in complete agreement with you re the Comet bathroom cleaner (can't remember the actual name, but it's specifically meant for bathroom fixtures). I found it recommended (they tested a number of products for effectiveness/damage) on a website that is for an industry association of shower enclosure manufacturers. The Comet works really well and does not damage the aluminum finish on my enclosure, which is the problem with other sprays I've used. The key is to spray it on, rub it with a damp cloth if necessary, and then wipe it off with a clean cloth.

The only reservation I have about it is that I don't really know if it would take off a buildup of soap scum or mineral deposits that had accumulated and hardened on the enclosure over time. It's really good for preventing it, but might not be strong enough to repair it (but it's worth a try). I've just never had the need to try it -- yet.

Our old shower enclosure, tempered glass with annodized aluminum frame, became so coated with accumulated mineral deposits that nothing would clean it. When we replaced it (after 20 years!) I started using the Comet Bathroom spray stuff which has worked beautifully.

This is NOT Comet cleanser, by the way. It's a Comet spray on foam product specifically for bathroom fixtures and showers etc.

Reply to
Tom Miller

remover product. First I wiped it down with straight vinegar and then went over it a few times with water. My shower door is almost crystal clear now. Try the vinegar. It really does work great!!

Reply to
kimberlycards