Re: Removing tobacco smoke from suede jacket?

First dry brush the suede and vacuum the surface, use an upholstery attachment.

Hang the jacket in a sunny and airy location for a few days.

Find a box or bag large enough for the garment and place the garment in with a few broken pieces of charcoal (don't use fast-light or other modified charcoal, only pure burned wood chunks) You can also use activated charcoal found in aquarium shops, sold as filter medium.

Make certain to seal the charcoal in a cloth or paper bag so it won't smudge your garment.

Seal the container and place in an out of the way location for a week or so. Check the garment for smell, and repeat the process as necessary (use fresh charcoal).

You may want to remove the lining if you can (sometimes they zip out or unbutton) and have that dry cleaned separately. You may alternately try suface cleaning the fur fabric, use a protective layer between the lining and the suede interior.

Tobacco smoke is very sticky, best of luck!

Taiyaki Daisuki wrote:

I've inherited a suede jacket with faux fur lining (not an antique, > I'd guess about three years old) from a chain smoker, and I cannot wear it > until I get the smell completely out. I took it to a dry cleaner who > wanted to charge me $45 for the cleaning, but couldn't be sure he'd get > rid of the odor. Does anyone have any good tips?
Reply to
Jean pSmith

Do not do this under any circumstrances. A sunny disposition will sun beach your suede jacket and make it useless.

Reply to
DrClean

I agree that putting a suede jacket in the sun for an extended period of time may damage it. Sunshine is good at breaking down aromatic compounds. I got a good laugh at your second statement, thinking about a suede jacket laying out in the sun like a beached whale.

Reply to
Phisherman