Re: outside trashcans

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 17:48:26 -0400 (EDT), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

Try not to throw spoilable garbage in the trash too many days before pick up. We keep leftovers in the refrigerator (or even freeze it) until garbage day.
Nan
We use industrial strength trash can liners. That prevents either can from smelling. If the trash begins to smell bad I pour a cup of Clorox over it, which works until trash day pick up. I also remind myself eating at BBQ Boob's smells worse.
Cindi
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

My mother kept a plastic diaper pail, with a tight-fitting lid and lined with a wastebasket bag, in the corner of the kitchen for food waste. I think she kept some mothballs in the bottom of the pail below the liner. She just tossed the bag on trash day.
--
jamie ( snipped-for-privacy@newsguy.com)

"There's a seeker born every minute."
I am confused. Let me explain. I used to have a small little kitchen garbage can (under the sink kind) in my kitchen no mater what I did, the container smelled, the garbage smelled. Now I have a full size plastic garbage can, the kind you have outdoors and I have seen in restaurants - indoors. Like restaurant cooks, I toss food from the stove, table, sink, wherever into the garbage. It is acutually quite fun. At first I tossed it from little or no distance and now I toss from across the room. There is almost no or rarely a smell. I don't know why. Key, inside or outside, is to keep the garbage container bone dry and clean between the plastic liner and the container - no exception. I use electricians tape rather than a twist tie which give the bag a perfect tight seal. For instance, when I pour hot bacon grease into the garbage, I make sure there is sufficient paper or other absorbing material or a container so as not to melt the bag. Another trick is to remove the garbage bag after a couple of days if it has some questionable smelly stuff and seal as above and then place a new bag inside the garbage can and replace the old half full (sealed) bag and continue adding for the rest of the week and then seal the external bag (a bag within a bag). Maybe this will give you some ideas. The only time I have to wash my garbage can out is if the plastic bag leaks and liquid enters the can itself.