I'm so angry!

I just read the new US News and Report and a poll indicated that women spend on average 358 hours cleaning (per year not lifetime). UGH! I want to throw something.

Reply to
Puddin Pop

That comes to less than 7 hours a week. Doesn't sound so terrible to me. You can't extrapolate a lot from a bare statistic like that. How many of those women are singles or single moms, how many have 4 or more kids, how many of their husbands spend as much or more time doing yard and repair work... Oh, a whole bunch of things.

Don't know about you, but I'd rather do housework than mow the lawn or fix the car.

Laura

Reply to
Laura

I wonder is that includes laundry, dishes, and clean-up after meal prep?

Reply to
Vox Humana

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 21:03:33 GMT, Puddin Pop sayeth:

Yes and my Husband this week told me I do *NOTHING*. Just on call 24/7 whenever he wants something you know. Fetching beers and coffees, ironing and doing laundry. I was too pissed off even to reply. I just left it.

Reply to
Vilma

That is less than one hour per day. Doesn't seem excessive to me.

Reply to
Tracey

Well, at least it's less than an hour a day. I would have thought it would be more. But still... Did it say how much the average man cleaned each year? Did it include doing the laundry as cleaning?

If you're going to throw something, I'd throw money at it. Work harder, earn more, then pay some other woman to do the cleaning.

Or buy a robot vacuum to do some of the cleaning. There's one out now called a Roomba that seems to do a good job from what I've heard.

Reply to
Maureen Schwab

You're better off paying a man and getting the job done properly.

Reply to
Sweep

I can see you've never lived in Ohio, California or Tennessee!

Reply to
Sweep

Paying someone to do a job and the statement "job done properly" can not be used in the same sentence in this day and age. Maybe "job done properly after they screw it up the first time and you make them do it over again" might work..

Reply to
Bernie E.

Thank you.

Sincerely, Choreboy

Reply to
Choreboy

One day a man comes home from work to find total mayhem at home! The kids were outside still in their pajamas playing in the mud and muck. There were empty food boxes and wrappers all around. As he proceeded into the house, he found an even bigger mess. Dishes on the counter, dog food spilled on the floor, a broken glass under the table, and a small pile of sand by the back door. The family room was strewn with toys and various items of clothing, and a lamp had been knocked over. He headed up the stairs, stepping over toys, to look for his wife. He was becoming worried that she may be ill, or that something had happened to her. He found her in the bedroom, still in bed with her pajamas on, reading a book. She looked up at him, smiled, and asked how his day went. He looked at her bewildered and asked, "What happened here today?" She again smiled and answered, "You know everyday when you come home from work and ask me what I did today?" "Yes," was his reply. She answered, "Well, today I didn't do it!".

Reply to
TOM KAN PA

Yikes! I probably dust 2 or 3 times a month, about an hour per month. I have two passive static furnace filters that I clean once a month and dry in the sun for a few hours. (My house is rather large so it has two furnaces and two A/Cs.) These filters (about $40 each) are much better than the paper throw-aways.

Reply to
Phisherman

Reply to
Misty Newman

Or just find some one who is willing to do his part....

I'm lucky to be single and know that the most important male figure in my family (step dad) actually cleans more than other guys I know. And cleans well. his favorite smell is pine. So the house smells like Pine Sol by the time he is done! Mom loves it.

Added bonus: he can cook too. OMG I love it when dad cooks...

TTFN

Reply to
Suzie

hehe :-)

and know that the most important male figure in my

3 cheers for stepdad!

i read something interesting recently concerning division of housework in a household. essentially, of the three most-common couple arrangements (only couples were considered, it seems) lesbian households had the most equal division of housework, followed by heterosexual couples, followed by homosexual male couples.

the moral of this story seems to be that in general, it's _men_ who somehow create inequality of housework regardless of other factors. although i think we all knew that, actually :-) the interesting part is that where there's 2 men involved, you'd logically assume there's going to be more equality, and yet, one poor sod in the household _still_ ends up doing it all!

i want to know how to be the bloke who gets away with doing nothing. (which will be particularly challenging as i am a woman.) kylie

Reply to
0tterbot

My wife doesnt care about the house, I do the laundry, cleaning and some cooking as well as yard and other chores.

Although I REFUSE to put my wifes clothes away, they end up in a pile.

i largely put mine away

Reply to
hallerb

I don't think I the numbers look bigger than they are. 358 is only 7 hours a week. Loading and unloading our dishwasher each week must account for almost an hour. Add in vacuming several times a week, wiping down bathroom, etc, etc, I'm surrprised that people only spend

7 hours a week cleaning up.

I can't account for all the time, since we clean as we go, but 7 hours sounds light, considering I'm picking up after a 4 year old, after he tries to clean up. :D

later,

tom (a male and unpolled) @

P.S. Don't throw anything, it'll ad to my clean up time.

Reply to
Tom The Great