Re: Gas Grills -- No longer use briquets ??

> only get with charcoal.

> > There is no flavor from a charcoal fire. It is nearly pure carbon emitting > hot CO2 and H20, heated air, and radiation. Just like gas. >

Tell you what - you guys ought to go the Alt.food.barbecue ng. Think you will find some real advice and ideas.

Charcoal briquets DO have flavor - the flavor of petrolium, glue, saw dust, etc. Might as well use old motor oil. If you like it, go for it. Charcoal lump is something different, it that it is REAL charcoal.

However, the best is still good old fashioned wood that has been well cured (drying for at least a year).

Gas grills have their place - great for a quick job like grilling small steaks, chicken, maybe some veggies, etc; but that is about that is about it. There is nothing like a good (indirect fire) smoker.

Sorry to bust in on your cinversation, but as a long time pit master, just felt like I needed to say something to put you all on the right track

Reply to
Bob

"small steaks"? And you live in Texas? My steaks are 2" thick and come out better than any steak house I've been to.

But you are right. There is nothing like meat from a good smoker. You can't duplicate that with a grill. Each method has it's own purpose and comparing the two is like comparing apples and oranges.

Reply to
RoyDMercer

No one has yet mentioned the carcinogenic properties of the compounds created by grilling, which are now beginning to be widely studied. Apparently, "charring" is one of the worst offenders. Who could have ever guessed that English and New England cuisine, with all those rather disgusting boiled dinners, was probably the safest?

Reply to
gregpresley

You are absolutely right about that!!!!!

Also, the fat dripping on hot lava rock or hot metal and smoking (which some people have mentioned adds a smoke flavor) is pure carcinogen.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Right. But you must avoid lots of things. For instance, black pepper is supposed to have 23 know carcinogins. You can't live your life in fear.

Reply to
William W. Plummer