Re: Black Ant problem

WELL HOW DO I GET RID OF THE BLACK ANTS.. ON MY KITCH COUNTER .. AND AROUND MY BATH TUB...IVE TRIED EVERYTING
CARROLC...HAVE A GREAT DAU

Obviously you haven't tried an exterminator.
--
jamie ( snipped-for-privacy@newsguy.com)

"There's a seeker born every minute."
On 4 Apr 2004 18:57:30 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@spam-me-silly.net (jamie) wrote:

Why on earth would anyone pay someone to get rid of ants, that are a common nuisance this time of year, no matter what?
Nan

Nan, Nan, if they're a common nuisance in your home "no matter what", you're certainly in the right group for advice, as a clean home doesn't usually attract ants -- although they may be driven in when nests in the ground get flooded. These are usually pretty easy to get rid of, though.
However, if the OP has tried "everything" she likely has carpenter ants damaging her home, and storebought and homemade baits don't usually get rid of them. They do tend to congregate near a source of water just as roaches do, so fixing leaky taps and not leaving standing water in sinks can be of some help.
--
jamie ( snipped-for-privacy@newsguy.com)

"There's a seeker born every minute."
On 6 Apr 2004 21:23:35 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@spam-me-silly.net (jamie) wrote:

Jamie, Jamie, everyone I know has ant problems in the spring time. It's typically exacerbated by having lots of trees near one's home. Cleanliness or lack thereof has little to do with ants coming in, in the spring when the weather breaks.
Nan

My kitchen is spotlessly clean and I too have large black ants (it's springtime). Usually I find one or two a day and it does not bother me as ants are clean insects. Try wiping the countertops with vinegar --it doubles as a cleaner and ant deterrent. Applying a line of agriculture lime (powdered lime) along the outside of each door may help, along with drawing a chalk line on all the thresholds. Calcium carbonate is irritating to ants.

on the floor and worktops. My guess is you'd have a lot more than "one or two ants a day" lining up to carry the goodies back to the nest.
snipped-for-privacy@cutey.com (Mrs Bonk) wrote:

I'm afraid you have been trolled. Black Aunt is America's favorite pancake syrup. When he said "clean insects" he meant "clean inserts," the special nozzles that allow one to pour Black Aunt without dripping. As he says, it is cheaper in the large sizes, but it contains no vinegar or lime.
It's an urban myth that it makes a good detergent. It leaves dishes sticky.
On behalf of Phish, let me apologize for your confusion.
--
Best Regards,
Lloyd

Dripping is better on toast but leave it too long and the ants get stuck in it and can wiggle for days. Far better to down it, and them, in one, as soon as they're trapped.

Is it PC to say Black Aunt?

Dawn wrote:

People still eat dripping? I've seen ants in chocolate for sale at the confectioners - just a thought for those who have an excess - better than squidging and running them down the plughole!

s'ok..He uses a Mac

Hi, sugar.
Let me elaborate!
Hi, sugar with 2 to 4% borax or boric acid is a cheap and effective way to exterminate ants. You heat with a little water to make a thick syrup. You won't need much mixture, maybe only a teaspoon. You can set the syrup out in little containers or leave drops of it where the ants will find it. It may take a few days to wipe out the nest. The boron atom spoils their digestion.
I don't know if borax powder will kill ants, but it makes a good barrier. I prefer to dissolve a little in water and apply it with a paint brush around the cracks where they seem to get in. I've had good luck except on unfinished wood.
--
Best Regards,
Lloyd

We just got involved in some new great cleaners that are 100% chemical free. They work better than most store products and cost the same or less. Tough and Tender is fantastic on Black ants Got to www.momswin.com/kismet for more info. or to get information. Hope it helps. Bob
--

"Doing what you've always done,
will get you where you've always been."

Karen, I couldn't agree with you more! Spam is the best ant repellant money can buy.
--
Barbecue Bob serving family-style roast bunny
at convenient restaurants

"Doing what you've always done,
will get you where you've always been."
Look for a synthetic pyrethroid called Viper and spray in all the customary places inside the house. Look for a moisture source that they are attracted to. Nearly every indoor ant problem I have ever seen has a leaky plumbing connection somewhere. They can also be attracted to sugar or grease, different species are attracted to different food sources. Cleaning anywhere that you see a line of ants with ammonia will disrupt the scent trails that they leave for each other.