Question about washing dish rags

Mildew can't grow on dishes, and if the rag dries out, it can't grow on the rag either.

I'll tell you a mildew story. I had an obnoxious roommate, who I was evicting, but months before that when the pressure relief valve on the steam radiator was leaking, instead of telling me so I could fix it or get the landlord to fix it, he took one of MY blankets and used it to sop up the water, but ruining a small part of the parquet floor in the process.

Then he moved out without even a mention that he had ruined my (old and slightly damaged already but still quite serviceable) blanket.

It stank terribly of mildew. I washed it at the laundramat, and it still stank just as bad. Then I put it in the dryer, moderate heat, and when it was dry, it smelled great, as good as any other clothes No dryer strips, no extra anything. There was a part where the mildew made the tan thermal blanket white, but it was small. I used the blanket for many years after that.

If moderate heat didn't do it, I'd use one notch higher.

mm
Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

When all is said and done, there's that old expression, about food: "When in doubt throw it out."

How irreplaceable can any item with "rag," in its name, be? Buy new ones, and relegate the old ones to your actual rag bag. After all this time of waiting for a definitive answer, your kitchen is surely a bit skanky.

Reply to
Marschal