Protecting New Chairs

Hi,
We just purchased new dining room chairs. We passed on the seller's offer to apply fabric protection ($30 for a $100 chair?). The fabric is microfiber but these are dining room chairs and a relatively light color. Would it be worthwhile to apply a fabric protector ourselves?
Thanks, Gary

Yes, thanks for the cautions. These carpets did cost a bit o' ca$h, so I expect starting small would be wise. ;)